GETTING ANALOGUE VIDEO TO CD VIDEO

Bertie B 20:31 12 Jun 03

Can anyone offer any advice, please? I want to transfer my old Analogue Video Camera images [ranging back over 20 years] to Video CD. I have just bought a new PC with Pentium 2.4 Processor, Firewire and USB connections - running Windows XP Home Edition. I need to establish what sort of software I need and what hardware I need to connect my analogue camera to the PC. Someone suggested that I would need a card to go in the PC as the firewire connection cannot be used with analogue footage. I believe also that another alternative is to connect via some sort of USB converter!?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Mike 20:43 12 Jun 03

analog video to usb converter

PA28 21:59 12 Jun 03

You're going to need an Analogue Capture Card - most TV cards have this facility. Leads will be dependant on the card, but normally come with it (or those with your camcorder will probably fit). There'll also be basic capture and editing software with it - all for well less than a ton. Do consider a DVD writer with your system - you'll not be too impressed with Video CD quality and many DVD players have a problem in reading VCD.

Do a search on this site - there's loads of threads on this subject waiting for you.

Despicable Desperado 23:48 12 Jun 03

Have a look at click here - most popular cards

Bertie B 12:06 13 Jun 03

Thanks for the help.

Could you send that website address again, please, as it was not included with your response.

Cheers

handful 12:19 13 Jun 03

I updated my camcorder last year and bought a Sony Digital 8 with a facility to playback analogue. I can now playback into digital format without having a capture card. Just another option to consider.

Bertie B 12:27 13 Jun 03

Thanks - that's another avenue to consider.

Cheers

Lots of info available here. click here

Newuser4165 13:32 13 Jun 03

You could of course go the whole hog and purchase a DVD recorder such as the Philips DVDR880 or the Panasonic E50 which will allow you to copy analogue or Svideo camcorder pictures directly to DVD.
This system would cost around £350.

Bertie B 13:45 13 Jun 03

Thanks Guys

Lots of info and options for me to consider!!

rochester 21:43 13 Jun 03

Like 'handful', I bought a Sony Digital 8 camcorder. It can play back my old Hi8 tapes, connects to my PC with Firewire in and out, and also has analogue inputs. I have used it to get lots of my HI8 analogue tapes into the PC, then exported them back out as Digital8. I use Pinnacle Studio 8 software. I have also connected a VHS recorder to the Sony's analogue inputs which then converts the signal to Firewire, and coverted my old VHS and VHS C tapes to digital in this way. I intend to buy a DVD burner when the price drops a bit, and then archive my tapes for my grandchildren. Make sure you buy a Sony model with both Firewire IN and OUT. Some only have OUT.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…