Getting 2 computers to talk to each other

craneman01 08:01 28 May 05

I have 2 Medion computers that I would like to be able to access a broadband connection & be able to exchange data with each other if possible.
Apparenly they both have 10/100 fast ethernet cards but I think thats for connecting using cable only.
I need a cableless system. Could anyone please advise what I should be buying ?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:05 28 May 05
  Taff36 10:34 28 May 05

click here This bundle comes with one free USB dongle so you would have to buy another to link the two computers together. The router connects to your adsl phoneline for broadband and can be configured for use with most ISP providers BUT beware AOL. They insist you are on their Gold package and will only "support" their own wireless routers.

Arthur Scrimshaw 10:48 28 May 05

Is your broadband modem usb or ethernet? If it is usb you may not be able to connect it to the router as most have ethernet connections. This would make buying a router pointless.

TomJerry 10:55 28 May 05

(1) get two USB wireless adaptors (around £9 each from ebuyer click here)

(2) install driver software come with them

(3) plug in adaptor

(4) Run network wizard on both PC to set up a peer to peer network

(5) Enable Internet Connection Sharing (search win's build in help for instruction) on the PC which has BB connection

(6) enjoy

craneman01 21:00 28 May 05

The modem is usb

Arthur Scrimshaw 22:14 28 May 05

do as TJ above suggests - although the cheaper wireless cards aren't always a good buy for new users. A better bet might be Belkin or 3com cards although these will be more expensive. Follow this guide to set up the network and enable ICS (internet connection sharing) click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…