//some 3rd party need geo

Get rid of dialup connection window

Europa 14:56 13 May 06

When I start my computer, the dialup connection window comes automatically on the desktop, I need to click a few times to get rid of it, then it comes back a while later.
I knew once upon a time what to change in the setup to stop that window appearing every time but cannot remember.
How do you get rid of it?
Also, my username I log in with is my old email address. I am using another email address now. I am still receiving the pc advisor newsletters through that old email address. Can I change the username and set it up with my actual email address, without needing to register again and lose the name I am using in the forum?
Thank you.

Diemmess 18:31 13 May 06

Try clicking on 'your name' at the top left.
You should be able to keep your member name and password and merely change your email address.

If you are absolutely stuck click on Contact Forum Editor in the grey header at the top of this window

Europa 20:40 13 May 06

Thank you Diemmess, it worked, I have changed my email address and I still keep all the rest.
Any idea about my other problem? I must have read the solution somewhere on a thread or in a magazine, but I can't find it. It's very annoying.

ade.h 20:48 13 May 06

Something is trying to dial out, the details of which will be in your firewall's activity logs. Though I am very surprised that your firewall has not flagged the activity and asked you to permit or deny it.

You do have a client firewall, I hope??

If not... click here and download one of the very best free firewalls available. Choose "advanced mode" when you install it and it will tell you exactly what program is to blame.

I hope it's not malware, but there is a good possibility.

Europa 23:26 13 May 06

ade.h, it was doing that when I first had the computer, 9 months ago. Then I've found the way to change some setting to prevent that window to appear on my desktop. Since then, I had to delete my 2 internet accounts and reset them again as I had problems with one of them. Then it reappeared.It is just a window inviting me to connect to the internet. I can take it out by clicking on the top right corner but I need 3 or 4 attempts to do so. Then it reappears about 10 minutes later.
I am using the NVidia firewall provided with window XP.

anskyber 14:38 14 May 06

Is your internet service interupted during this process? Ie. is it a redundant window or instead notifying you that you need to reconnect?

Europa 18:36 14 May 06

It's the dial up connection window, it shows connect to, username, password and at the bottom connect, settings, cancel. You can retrieve it manually yourself but in my case it comes up first thing after the desktop has finish coming on screen, on top of my screensaver. It is not the reconnect window, it appears before I got any chance to do anything on the computer.

woodchip 19:32 14 May 06

Check Start\Run type MSCONFIG go to Startup tab look for the program or dialer and remove the tick

JasperJackal 11:13 17 May 06

My guess is that something you have installed is (possibly) trying to update itself by connecting to the 'net. Anti virus software, anti malware etc all do this. In fact, there are a host of legitimate programs that will do this. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of nasty ones too. As previously advised by ade.h, you need to be aware of which program it is that is trying to access the 'net. Adding further to ade.h's advice, a possible reason your firewall isn't flagging it for your approval (or otherwise), might be because you have already previously approved it. Good luck, JJ

watchful 21:42 18 May 06

It could be in Tools/Internet Options/Connections/mark the circle that says 'never dial a connection'- apply/OK.

Europa 13:37 19 May 06

Watchful, that's the one I was looking for!
Thank you all for your very much appreciated help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…