Get back at scammers

xania 14:01 28 Jan 04

If you receive a mobile message advising that you've won a proze, they always expect you to ring a premium number and, of course, that's that. They are getting cleverer - they now give you a local number to call, and THEN ask you to ring the premium number. But now, one of them have come up with a free number to call before giving you the premium number, so we can get our own back. The number is 0800 634 4434. Ring it AT THEIR EXPENSE as many times as you like, take as long as you like on the call, and then put the phone down. When their phone bills arrive and their expenditure exceeds their income, another scammer bites the dust.

recap 14:12 28 Jan 04

When ever I have rang a free phone number I am charged at the local rate, so a good point you make still makes me have to pay as well.

mgmcc 14:28 28 Jan 04

...ring it from a landline, but dial 141 first to withhold your own number :-)

recap 14:43 28 Jan 04

Don't use one at home only have my mobiles.

Jonathan314159 14:52 28 Jan 04

Brilliant!

As you say they then tell you to ring a 0906 number at £1.50/min for a call which will take 5 min or more!

I might ring the 0800 number again just to check I got all the details right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…