Gericom branded Laptop will not boot

Giggle n' Bits 00:25 28 Dec 07

Trying to help a frind out who owns a Gericom Branded Laptop with XP Home on it he got from Aldi a few years back.

Problem is the Laptop will not boot into XP get just past that strobe bar then Blue Screen and reboots. He has no CD's with it and has pictures of family which he desperatly wants keeping if possible.

I have tried to Safe mode but no use, Tried random F10 or F12 but no boot option to any recovery. I was going to try to fix the Boot.ini file but thought if using a different XP CD may corrupt it even worse.

So firstly asking for a UK support site for Gericom I found one in a German & Austrian but English option was useless.

Or any help please.

brundle 00:51 28 Dec 07

Try a live-CD with CD burning to get the information off the machine. click here

If you can borrow an XP CD (the appropriate edition, ie Home/Pro - don't repair Home with a Pro CD or vice versa) you could do a repair with that and use the product key that ought to be stuck to the laptop somewhere. click here

brundle 00:55 28 Dec 07

Sorry, I'm thinking of a LiveCD that runs entirely in memory

Use this click here with Bash Burn - when the laptop boots from the CD, type `dsl toram` to load the whole thing into memory (assuming the machine has more than 128mb) then you can remove the CD once it has loaded and burn a backup of the files on the laptop. The navigation tips in the previous link still apply.

Giggle n' Bits 00:59 28 Dec 07

Reading the links you point me towards. Bit concerned as Linux seems to be flavour, take it you are a linux user.

brundle 01:12 28 Dec 07

Not really, but both live CDs linked to are easy to work with. If you want to familiarize yourself with one get the DSL `embedded` version which will work within Windows.
You could try this too click here

Giggle n' Bits 01:32 28 Dec 07

so I could read and take note.

As I thought is Registy hive files damaged

The Error just the first few lines:-

Stop: C0000218 {registry file Failure}
The registry cannot loadthe hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\Software or its log or alternative...... etc

Brundle, I don't know which to try.

Would this work. Boot from XP CD, select R and type chkdsk /p then fix boot, press enter .

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 28 Dec 07

1. Boot the Recovery Console from the Windows XP installation CD.

2. When you're at the Recovery Console command prompt, change into the root directory of the system drive with the cd command (i.e., cd \).

3. Change into the System Volume Information directory by typing cd system~1 on most machines, or cd "System Volume Information."

(The filenames with ~1 are generated by default to provide backwards compatibility with programs that only recognize 8.3-format filenames. It's possible to disable 8.3 filename generation on NTFS volumes to gain some speed, but the speed gained by doing this is generally pretty small and it can have the unintended consequence of making it impossible to use 8.3 filenames in contexts like this. If you can't use 8.3 filenames to navigate, 8.3 name generation might be disabled. See Microsoft's support document called How to Disable the 8.3 Name Creation on NTFS Partitions.

4. The System Volume Information directory contains a folder name _restore followed by a GUID in curly braces. Change into it by typing cd _resto~1; if that doesn't work you'll have to type cd "_restore{GUID_STRING}", with the full GUID string in place of GUID_STRING.

5. In the _restore directory are a group of subdirectories starting with the letters RP and followed by a number. These are the different restore points available for that volume.

6. Check the date on each directory and look for one that corresponds to a date before you began experiencing problems.

7. Change into the appropriate directory. If the directory is named RP74, for instance, change into it by typing RP74.

8. Inside that directory will be a subdirectory named snapshot; change into that directory as well (cd snapshot)

9. The snapshot directory holds backup copies of the SOFTWARE and SYSTEM Registry hives, named _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE and _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM, respectively.

10. The target directory for these files is \Windows\System32\Config, and the hives there are named SOFTWARE and SYSTEM. Rather than overwrite those files entirely, you can rename them to something else. Typing ren \windows\system32\config\software \windows\system32\config\software.bak and ren \windows\system32\config\system \windows\system32\config\system.bak will rename them to software.bak and system.bak, respectively.

11. Copy in the backup hives: copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE \windows\system32\config\software and copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM \windows\system32\config\system.

12. Type exit to leave the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

woodchip 11:24 28 Dec 07

Try removing the Hard Drive with battery and power removed, then refit and try the laptop

woodchip 11:25 28 Dec 07

Look for a plate at the bottom or may be a screw at the edge holding the drive cover in place

Giggle n' Bits 13:25 28 Dec 07

Merry Christimas, and thanks for detailed info. Going to Copy & Past then print off and try tonight.
Will post back when I have done it.

Woodchip, don't understand why removal of HDD and battery power will make the registry repair itself. Trust me though before I found out what the Blue screen was I did try removal of battery not clearing the Cmos. Its not needed.

Stuartli 14:12 28 Dec 07

Details of pulling Gericom (Austrian manufacturer) laptops apart at:

click here

Gericom website:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…