Genuine or not???

tilly 2 15:34 PM 01 May 12
Answered

Can anyone please tell me if people who call on the phone saying they are from Windows and claim centres in India and Uk and quoting my address. Saying they have received fault reports from my computer and want to help. Could this be a scam?

sharpamat 15:37 PM 01 May 12

The simple answer Yes

Microsoft does not contact users and in many cases do not even have your home address or phone number

Jollyjohn 15:37 PM 01 May 12

Yes definitely a scam. Tell them you use Linux and see how quick they hang up!

Woolwell 15:37 PM 01 May 12

It is definitely a scam. Numerous threads about this and items on the web and in the press. I hope that you did not let them get access to your system.

tilly 2 15:59 PM 01 May 12

Thank you ALL. No I did not let them get access. He ended up saying you don't like me because I'm Indian, which of course I had never said, He was annoyed because I would not accommodate his request. But its unnerving when they give out your address, but I guess they cannot get into my computer unless I let them.

lotvic 17:48 PM 01 May 12
Answer

Just do a google search for: microsoft telephone scam

The scammers don't even know if you have a computer - they just guess and use clever questioning. As long as you only talk on the phone (don't go on pc and download the Remote Control Software they want you to) they can't trace your computer at all.

They get the Phone No: Names and Addresses from telephone directories and online information.

tilly 2 18:06 PM 01 May 12

Thank you very much lotvic. I am grateful for your advice.

morddwyd 20:13 PM 01 May 12

Just say "What computer?"

Andsome 10:34 AM 02 May 12

Just put the phone down and leave the line open, and let them pay for several minutes.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…