Genuine or not???

tilly 2 01 May 12
Answered

Can anyone please tell me if people who call on the phone saying they are from Windows and claim centres in India and Uk and quoting my address. Saying they have received fault reports from my computer and want to help. Could this be a scam?

sharpamat 01 May 12

The simple answer Yes

Microsoft does not contact users and in many cases do not even have your home address or phone number

Jollyjohn 01 May 12

Yes definitely a scam. Tell them you use Linux and see how quick they hang up!

Woolwell 01 May 12

It is definitely a scam. Numerous threads about this and items on the web and in the press. I hope that you did not let them get access to your system.

tilly 2 01 May 12

Thank you ALL. No I did not let them get access. He ended up saying you don't like me because I'm Indian, which of course I had never said, He was annoyed because I would not accommodate his request. But its unnerving when they give out your address, but I guess they cannot get into my computer unless I let them.

lotvic 01 May 12
Answer

Just do a google search for: microsoft telephone scam

The scammers don't even know if you have a computer - they just guess and use clever questioning. As long as you only talk on the phone (don't go on pc and download the Remote Control Software they want you to) they can't trace your computer at all.

They get the Phone No: Names and Addresses from telephone directories and online information.

tilly 2 01 May 12

Thank you very much lotvic. I am grateful for your advice.

morddwyd 01 May 12

Just say "What computer?"

Andsome 02 May 12

Just put the phone down and leave the line open, and let them pay for several minutes.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message