Generic Host Processes for Win32 problem

Keyhole 23:09 12 Mar 04

When starting up (OS is XP Mome Edition) I get the message "Genetic Host Processes for Win32 has encountered a problem and needs to close". What is this problem and can it be solved?

hugh-265156 01:03 13 Mar 04

Generic Host Processes is a windows component click here

but it could also be spyware or a virus masquerading as this process i believe.

check in control panel/performance and maintenance/administrative tools/event viewer under the system and application tabs for any errors listed relating to it maybe.click the error to find out if there is a fix available.

what i would do also is check the start up programs in xp: click start/run and type msconfig and click the start up tab.untick everything except your av and firewall and restart the computer.

download,install and update and then run both adaware and spybot click here click here delete anything they find on default settings.they make a back up before deleting so you can always restore anything you remove easily.

disable system restore and update and run your antivirus software and also delete anything if found.

update windows also with any security or critical updates click here

test your firewall click here click proceed and click on the file sharing and common ports tabs to test your firewall.

hugh-265156 01:07 13 Mar 04

sorry forgot.

check services mentioned above in control panel/performance and maintenance/administrative tools/services

any set to automatic will start with windows.if set to manual they will only start when needeed.if disabled they wont start at all.click here for a great guide to services,will give loads of info on what each one does and if you need it running or not.

"safe" settings from the above link work well for me on xp home.

Keyhole 17:24 13 Mar 04

I tried all the suggestions, but still get the same error message/. Also my RealOne Player and Windows Media Player now don't work.
My critical updates are up-to-date.

hugh-265156 19:26 13 Mar 04

were there any Generic Host Processes for Win32 errors listed in event viewer then?

did spybot or adaware find anything?

Keyhole 21:37 13 Mar 04

There is an Application Error (ID 1000), "faulting module unknown....", and an Event System error (event ID 4609), "the COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HResult was 80080005 from line 44 of d:\nt\coc\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystememobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Support Services to report this error." I assume I did this when I hit the Send tab in the error message.

Keyhole 21:44 13 Mar 04

I should have said Adaware (I had already purchased the advance version) found nothing. SpyBot found about 20 things and quarantined them,
icluding two Media Player items (HKEY users etc). Hope this helps.

VoG II 21:50 13 Mar 04

Do a scan for the Blaster worm and run Stinger click here

Keyhole 21:56 13 Mar 04

I already have Norton AV - will that be affected?

VoG II 21:58 13 Mar 04

No but if your NAV is up to date do not bother with Stinger.

hugh-265156 00:43 14 Mar 04

do you use a HP scanner or printer by any chance?

if so click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…