Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Newuser1081 15:06 14 Mar 05

Almost every time I boot up my Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook running Windows XP Sp 2 I get an error stating Generic Host Process for Win32 encountered a problem and needed to close.Please tell Microsoft about this problem. This I have done many times.
What should I do about this problem? The PC seems to perform normally. I have no idea what the Generic Host Process is or does.
Thanks in anticipation.
Richard.

pc moron 15:21 14 Mar 05

Sounds like it could be a service that's the problem.

Have a look in Control Panel> Admin Tools> Event Viewer and see what error is reported there.

Post the exact error here.

SANTOS7 15:27 14 Mar 05

Somewhere in the back of my head tells me this prob is related to Zonealarm, if you are running said prog an uninstall reinstall, or an update should help........

wee eddie 19:10 14 Mar 05

This has just started bothering me, picked up by Norton.

I checked the first 20 entries on Google and loads of opinions, but have found no statement of how to deal with it, or what it actually is, or why it should suddenly start.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:35 14 Mar 05

Try a repair of XP

REpair XP
click here
Type
sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.

This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

Newuser1081 21:21 14 Mar 05

Red Errors:-

Source Categ Ev. User. Comput.

Application
Error 100 1004 N/A D9R82
None 1000
None 1001
101 1002

Yellow Warnings:-

Userenv None 1517 SYSTEM
Msinstallu.. None 1001 Richard..
1004 Richard..

To pc moron:Does this mean anything to you?

Richard.

Taff36 21:40 14 Mar 05

click here

Even though the sfc /scannow seems to cure it for a few days I have to say it comes back on my laptop too. Still waiting for the definitive answer too!

pc moron 23:07 14 Mar 05

Anything under Event Viewer> System?

For testing purposes I recently installed a Broadband modem and I got the Win32 Services error every time I booted Windows.

Windows continued to worked faultlessly.

After an uninstall of the modem software, Windows boots without the error.

There are many reasons why this error can occur, and it can be a long job to fix it.

JayDay 11:34 20 Mar 05

According to MS the problem is caused by HP Printers and Scanners. Here is their suggested resolution.

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1. Turn off the computer and the printer or the scanner.
2. Disconnect the printer or the scanner from the computer.
3. Restart the computer.
4. Install the compatible drivers and software for the printer or the scanner, and then

reconnect the printer or the scanner to the computer.

Newuser1081 10:28 23 Mar 05

JayDay.Thankyou for your help. I did have HP printer software innstalled but the notebook was not connected to the printer as I do not print from it. I have now uninstalled this software, but the problem persists.
Fortunately it does not seem to affect my use of the PC. What does the Generic Host Process do?

Taff36 21:36 23 Mar 05

Newuser1081 - Sorry for the gap in posting. Been away for a few days. My problem persists and like you I had HP printer drivers installed but not used. Similarly deleting the printers doesn`t help because the driver software is still on the computer (somewhere!). I also have a bluetooth module for linking to my laptop.

I have noticed that when I boot my laptop I am informed of the Generic Host problem and the date and time either relates to the last time my computer went into hibernate OR when I last closed it down. Any similarities?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…