Generic Host Process win32 server

BLUELEN 22:35 26 Mar 04

my father is running xp home with a blueyonder internet connection. He keeps getting a error message stating that the above mentioned application has encounted a problem and will have to close the program. Any solutions on what he should do. Thanks

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:12 26 Mar 04

click here
go to the above and download the patch.

Not sure if its blaster, does his PC automatically shutdown?

ade.h 23:30 26 Mar 04

I often experience the same fault at random. It doesn't cause Windows, or even Explorer, to shut down and (in my case anyway) isn't being caused by a virus. The problem appears to be down to a faulty or incompatible driver, though the Online Crash Analysis is unable to be more specific. I haven't investigated it further as it doesn't seem to be serious, but I'll have a look in Google and the MS Knowledgebase.

More info soon.

ade.h 23:44 26 Mar 04

Had a look at the KB article 821690 - the only reference I could find in the Knowledgebase. It accurately describes the fault, but also mentions a problem accessing My Computer, where Windows will search for a few minutes before any folder appear. I haven't experienced this; has your father had this happen too? The article goes on to point the blame at old HP printer/scanner drivers - this can't be the only cause, as I've never had any HP products. I already have the above patch mentioned by RM and my virus scanner gives the all clear. I can only surmise that this problem can be triggered by other driver errors, not just the HP issue.

hugh-265156 00:36 27 Mar 04

have a look in: start/control panel/performance and maintenance/administratibe tools/event viewer

click the system and application tabs and look for errors listed,red x`s.note the time and date of your error and look for it here.click them for more information and maybe details of how to fix.

hugh-265156 00:38 27 Mar 04

administrative tools even.

hugh-265156 00:45 27 Mar 04

also check windows is all up to date click here

ps.generic host process is a windows component but just in case,run your AV and a check for spyware adware etc with spybot and adaware.

some nasties can pretend to be svchost click here click here

BLUELEN 11:54 27 Mar 04

Thanks for all the advice. I'll go round and see if I can sort problem out.

ade.h 20:12 27 Mar 04

huggyg71 has made a good point about svchost.exe. Bring up Task manager by pressing Ctrl, Alt and Delete together and look for svchost under the Processes tab; there is usually four- any extra may be suspect.

ade.h 02:07 04 Apr 04

Haven't heard anything for a while; have you managed to cure it yet? Reply here if you need more help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch