Generic Host Process win32 server

BLUELEN 22:35 26 Mar 04

my father is running xp home with a blueyonder internet connection. He keeps getting a error message stating that the above mentioned application has encounted a problem and will have to close the program. Any solutions on what he should do. Thanks

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:12 26 Mar 04

click here
go to the above and download the patch.

Not sure if its blaster, does his PC automatically shutdown?

ade.h 23:30 26 Mar 04

I often experience the same fault at random. It doesn't cause Windows, or even Explorer, to shut down and (in my case anyway) isn't being caused by a virus. The problem appears to be down to a faulty or incompatible driver, though the Online Crash Analysis is unable to be more specific. I haven't investigated it further as it doesn't seem to be serious, but I'll have a look in Google and the MS Knowledgebase.

More info soon.

ade.h 23:44 26 Mar 04

Had a look at the KB article 821690 - the only reference I could find in the Knowledgebase. It accurately describes the fault, but also mentions a problem accessing My Computer, where Windows will search for a few minutes before any folder appear. I haven't experienced this; has your father had this happen too? The article goes on to point the blame at old HP printer/scanner drivers - this can't be the only cause, as I've never had any HP products. I already have the above patch mentioned by RM and my virus scanner gives the all clear. I can only surmise that this problem can be triggered by other driver errors, not just the HP issue.

hugh-265156 00:36 27 Mar 04

have a look in: start/control panel/performance and maintenance/administratibe tools/event viewer

click the system and application tabs and look for errors listed,red x`s.note the time and date of your error and look for it here.click them for more information and maybe details of how to fix.

hugh-265156 00:38 27 Mar 04

administrative tools even.

hugh-265156 00:45 27 Mar 04

also check windows is all up to date click here

ps.generic host process is a windows component but just in case,run your AV and a check for spyware adware etc with spybot and adaware.

some nasties can pretend to be svchost click here click here

BLUELEN 11:54 27 Mar 04

Thanks for all the advice. I'll go round and see if I can sort problem out.

ade.h 20:12 27 Mar 04

huggyg71 has made a good point about svchost.exe. Bring up Task manager by pressing Ctrl, Alt and Delete together and look for svchost under the Processes tab; there is usually four- any extra may be suspect.

ade.h 02:07 04 Apr 04

Haven't heard anything for a while; have you managed to cure it yet? Reply here if you need more help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…