Generic Host Process for Win32 again

Skeletor 16:55 06 Feb 05

I've just done a complete reinstallation of Win XP with SP2 and have just about finished reinstalling all my software. Everything went well.

Before accessing the internet for the first time I made sure I had Norton AV, Sygate firewall, Spybot S&D, Spyewareblaster, Ad-Aware all up and running, and then my first job on connecting to the net was to get the latest updates. So far so good!

But now when I access the internet I get a message (I guess from the Sygate firewall) saying, "An application named Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (file name svchost.exe) has been blocked from accessing the network". This is a slightly different problem from most that I've read about, in that it doesn't tell me it needs to shutdown. However, it is getting very irritating to be given this message every 2 or 3 minutes, even when I tick the box "do not show this window again".

I've done a Google on the subject and I know this question has been asked many times on this forum, but nobody seems to have a definitive answer.

I've read that it could be a Trojan or Worm, that it's part of Windows, that it could be to do with some HP printers (which I have) and even that if I install SP2 (again which I have) the problem will be resolved.

I'm left wondering "Should I or shouldn't I"

Does anybody have the answer? TO BLOCK or NOT TO BLOCK!

Sorry about rambling on.

Cheers,

Steve

AndySD 17:22 06 Feb 05

It is more than likely its a progam checking for an update.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:34 06 Feb 05

NOT TO BLOCK

There will be at least 2 instances of this required to run just to run IE6

Skeletor 17:51 06 Feb 05

Thanks AndySD & Fruit Bat /\0/\,

I have a feeling that you're right as the chances of something dodgy infecting my PC are pretty slim, considering how meticulous I was in getting my protection running before connecting to the net. I think I'll unblock (fingers crossed)

Cheers,

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…