generic host process error

BenWW 22:39 23 Nov 04

my laptop recently returned from repair and since then two probs occur. if auto updates is on then repeated "automatic updates has encountered a problem" errors come up. also now when I try to play anything on Mediaplayer it will not play as it says there is a problem with my sound card (there does not seem to be anything wrong with the card - sound works with itunes) - also generic host process error occurs when I try to add or remove winows components (ie i can't reinstall media player).

I've tried removal of sasser/blaster, removal of spyware, virus scans including stinger, i don't have hp drivers installed (although this may have been installed when a printer test was run on the system by repair company - don't appear to be installed now)

Help! XP home SP2 (was running sp2 ok - also generic host error if i try to remove sp2 update!)

Diodorus Siculus 22:41 23 Nov 04

Try running the system file checker

start

run

sfc /scannow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…