General Upgrade Advice

pcwhizz 19:07 08 Jul 04

I have a

athlon 2500+ barton
msi k7n2-l delta board

i would like to move to a pentium 4 as video convertin tasks and some other tasks are becoming slow.

What P4 chip do u reccomend i get and motherboard. im not after the best. im after spendin upto £80 on a board.

theres so many boards and chips i nt no which ones to choose.

bremner 19:11 08 Jul 04

My advice would be ........don't bother as you will hardly notice the difference.

Upgrade the memory to the fastest and most amount possible for a discernable difference.

Gaz 25 19:14 08 Jul 04

a 3000+ athlon may increase your speeds more.

And for video conversion a fast SATA or SCSI HDD and some 1Gb Dual Channel DDR should do great with Dual Channel mobo.

Gaz 25 19:15 08 Jul 04

P4s are not going to offer much difference.

Indigo 1 19:31 08 Jul 04

I agree with Bremner, go for the best possible RAM you can find and cram in as much as you can, at least two sticks of Corsair 1Gig DDR would make a big difference and is far better than cheaper brands. Then put in the fastest CPU the board will accept.

Don't forget, if you decide to change CPU and board for Pentium, you will also need to buy more RAM too so it's probably not as cheap as it seems and will not improve performance much either.

You don't give much info on your current system for comparison.

pcwhizz 17:44 09 Jul 04

i have a
80gb western digital hard drive
128mb geforce mx440
512mb crucial pc2700 memory

with the board ive got i cant use a SATA harddrive without gettin a converter card.

so, i would be better gettin another 512mb ram and a athlon 3200+. how much would that improve my performance

goonerbill 23:44 09 Jul 04

you could always upgrade your motherboard to one that has SATA if you wish and buy a couple of SATA drives. cheaper than buying p4 and motherboard.

goonerbill 23:46 09 Jul 04

can still use you cpu and other components and will also cost just a bit more than another 512mb ram and athlon 3200+

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…