General queries for new system...

SpyMan²°°­­³ {:o)){--< 21:34 29 Dec 03

It is student loan time again and so i am getting a new computer. I have sold my old one but am missing it already...

I just wanted to ask you guys a few questions about the system i wanted and new technology.

Is it worth getting a SATA hard drive? What are the benefits?

Is it true that TFT monitors can't produce resolutions in the regions that CRT monitors can? As i play games i would be wanting to play some games at 1600 x 1200 dpi.

Just in case you want to know, i use my PC for games online eg. medal of honor, i use it for general office tasks and uni work such as msoffice XP and other software which is course related.

regards

Graham

A Cat Called George 21:44 29 Dec 03

SATA will not make any noticeable difference. An IDE 7200rpm drive will be a little cheaper and just as fast. The exeption is the Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB and running at 10000rpm. I have one of these as I don't need huge storage, makes 7200rpm drives seem sluggish. Only very large and hugely expensive TFT monitors can handle resolutions higher than 1280 x 1024.

Chegs ® 23:48 29 Dec 03

I have 2 SATA hdd's already...

Advantages....erm....err....their cabling is tidy.

Disadvantages...they get rather hot in operation...Rather complicated to install OS onto(BIOS setup for SCSI ?)...driver seems to get corrupted at every opportunity,leading to lots of Recovery Console/Repair usage...

They (SATA) aren't really worth upgrading to at present.This is due to change in later revisions,as SATA tech improves(higher speeds,etc)

thanks all.....think i will stick to UDMA hard drive.

Rayuk 13:23 30 Dec 03

And also stick to CRT monitor if you want to game at 1600x1200

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…