General Protection Fault

Inverjazz 11:28 22 Oct 03

Every now and again at power up I get the message: OSA caused a general protection fault in module GDI.exe. Re-booting is usually OK.
Can this be fixed short of re-installing Win98SE? I've run Windows file check and defragged the hard drive but it still won't go away, and what is OSA?

JIM 12:20 22 Oct 03

Try first uninstall/reinstall of your office software if your running Ms office,also

If you have removed any windows fonts of late poss corruption,try the following .

Boot the computer with a Windows 98 Startup disk with CD-ROM support. (Or, choose Command Prompt Only from the Windows 95/98 Startup menu if you have real-mode CD-ROM drivers installed, or if you have a copy of the Windows source files on your hard disk).

Windows 98
md c:\windows\fonts

attrib +s c:\windows\fonts

extract /a d:\win98\win98_22.cab *.fon /l

c:\windows\fonts

extract /a d:\win98\win98_22.cab *.ttf /l

c:\windows\fonts

Reboot the computer. If the Fonts folder exists, just use the extract commands to extract the fonts into the folder.

Inverjazz 07:25 23 Oct 03

Many thanks, JIM, for your detailed advice. I haven't uninstalled any fonts lately, but I'll try reinstalling MS Office.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…