General Problems

lazanda 08:16 22 Nov 04

Problem 1, since installing zone alarm (This is the last point that I recall) I cannot open certain websites. My on line outlook is an example. When I enter my user name it should open another window and it just clicks back asking me for the same user name again!
I cant even open this site (I am on another PC) as when I enter my user name and ow it just gives me a list of 'cookie' variations that I may have on, all of which I have tried to no avail.

Problem 2. Every now and again I get a weird 'page cannot be displayed' just appear on my screen. Its in the middle of my screen with no frame, its the normal one we all get but its not in a browser, just a white panel. I have to re-boot to get rid if it.

Anyone had similar experiences or who can help would be much appreciated.

P.

Diemmess 08:46 22 Nov 04

Working on the guess that since installing ZoneAlarm, you may have ticked the "remember box" just before refusing to accept some connection, ZA now rejects any attempt to access that item.

A simple test would be to uninstall ZA. Use the program's own, via Start > Programs > Zone labs, reboot and then see what happens. If you are lucky everything will be back to normal, and you can install ZA again.... carefully.

Just to be gloomy, it may be something worse, but you have to try simple methods first

lazanda 16:09 22 Nov 04

Does anyone know what 'There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive\Device\Harddisk1\DR3' means ?

This onw pops up on my machine over and over again and wont go away!

Thanks Diem' did a restore and now I can get pop ups again so can get my email. Only now I cannot look at the internet anymore as I just get 'Page cannot be displeyed' all the time despite being connected to the net.

rawprawn 16:37 22 Nov 04

In IE Go to File and check that "Work Offline" is not ticked.

rawprawn 16:43 22 Nov 04

Regarding this problem, the most common cause is shutting down your computer before it has finished writting to a cd. Put a CD in the drive and reboot, if that is the cause let it finish before ejecting the CD.

lazanda 17:29 22 Nov 04

I tried and it just did the same thing. Just put a blank CD in and re-boot ?

rawprawn 17:40 22 Nov 04

Yes that's right. Have you asked it to do anything else that it may not have completed before you switched off? floppy for EG. Or copying files to a different folder.

lazanda 18:06 22 Nov 04

Not that I can recall. I have had to disconnect the docking station now as it just wont stop coming up. This has solved the problem but I cant use the docking station!!

I still cant get the internet to display though either which is more serious. I just get page cannot be displayed, I have even reinstalled broadband but nothing.

What a day!

rawprawn 18:41 22 Nov 04

click here Can you download and run this program from a CD turn off system restore before you scan. Did you try Diemmess suggestion and uninstall Zone alarm ? if so what happened.

VoG II 18:45 22 Nov 04

You could try WinsockFix click here

woodt 18:47 22 Nov 04

In ZA Program Control/Programs make sure the IE has ticks in the first three items. In IE make sure that in Connections/Lan Settings 'Automatically detect settings' is unticked, i.e no ticks in that section.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…