General PC Issues - novice user

Michéal 00:55 05 Apr 04

I have recently bought a secondhand computer running on Windows 98-SE, and despite getting all the latest updates from the Microsoft Website, it was fine up to a few weeks ago - I have not got a clue about computers and some of the things that did happen was the sound card stopped working, then the floppy drive stopped working - I followed all the advice in Windows help butnow it's doing some very strange things indeed - I was womdering if there was any web sites out there that could get into, interrogate my system and could check, detect and reset any incorrectly applied settings, its a Q-Tech Machine - I've had to re-install Windows 98-SE at least 10 times I have 3 configuration settings at startup, the Floppy Drive does not work and there is still no sound - After being on the internet one night, A dial up connection in addition to my normal one with an 0906 access number appeared and I tried to remove both it and the previous installation of AOL which I do not want as they are not my ISP noris freeserve - help

hugh-265156 01:03 05 Apr 04

you may have a virus or some other nasty on your system like a dialer.

do you have any antivirus software installed?

if so update it and run a full system scan.remove anything it finds.

if you dont have any AV software get this free one click here dont forget to update it after install,then run a full scan.

next get spybot search and destroy and adaware click here click here both free also.these will remove spyware and dialers etc.update them after install and run a scan with both and remove anything they find.

if you are still having problems post back.

Diodorus Siculus 08:10 05 Apr 04

What sort of reinstall of Windows did you do? A clean install (formatting the hard disk first) might be best; then get any updates necessary. MS supplies these on CD now - click here
free of charge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced