genealogy software

rwp77ox 23:07 07 Dec 04

I searched the archive and a similar thread was opened about 2 years ago. (not that I can read the thread as I just get looped back to the forums homepage.)
I have just wached the Family tree programme on BBC2 and would like to know if anybody has any recomendations for genealogy software, which is currently available and will run on winXP.
The products from GSP get a lot of advertisments but I have seen no good reports. There is a free program from the Mormon Church, but I am worried that it is too American for the UK.
Any Suggestions?

spuds 23:40 07 Dec 04

Put 'Family Tree' in the PCA search box. You will find eleven requests posted there, with some information and links if you check through them.

bruno 14:59 08 Dec 04

I bought one from Serif last week.It cost £9.99 plus postage of £3 and it works fine.It is not the latest software available but has loads of options.I use it on XP Pro, even though the outer packing says it is not suitable.I rang their helpline and they told me it had been extensively tested on their software and it works fine,as it does on mine.It did not Auto-load, though, and I had to go to My Computer and set-up.You get it on a trial basis,so you have nothing to lose.

Wak 19:34 08 Dec 04

Hi, I have in the past used a good family tree program from a cover page CD which did everything I required.
I now use the FREE Personal Ancestral file Program (PAF 5.0) from the Latter Day Saints and it's as good as all the others and probably better than most.
It allows all the entries, photographs, data etc that you could possibly want and is an excellent program.
Look at it this way, the Mormons have been collecting Family History data from all over the world for donkeys years and they gladly provide it to anyone at no charge.
They have, I believe, the largest genealogical data base in the world at Utah.
Would they cut corners by producing a cheap, useless program to store all your precious data??
NO. I don't think it is at all Americanised.
The program is FREE, download it and try it but give yourself time to find your way around all that it can offer.

VCR97 20:32 08 Dec 04

Link please? Thanks.

sjbell 21:02 08 Dec 04

Personal Ancestral File 5.2: click here

Wak 22:23 08 Dec 04

Sorry I didn't get back to you . . . been surfing elsewhere.
If you want any help sorting it out click the yellow envelope next to my name and e-mail me if you wish.

spuds 22:57 08 Dec 04

Reference to Wak's suggestion click here and check downloads

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…