genealogy

ol blueeyes 09:13 22 Feb 10

Has anyone got any suggestions for the best programme to use in tracing ones ancestors. I have tried one or two which are not always cheap and after buying and Installing just as your getting somewhere there is always an extra to buy to get the full information.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

Woolwell 10:03 22 Feb 10

I have tried a few and Family Historian click here is what I now use. But all of these programs are where you keep the records and not where you trace ancestors. They are useful for organising everything and drawing trees, etc. With Family Historian I recommend using the tutorial at first.

For tracing ancestors Ancestry click here or find my past click here are quite good but you have to pay a subscription.
Free BMD is useful.

ol blueeyes 10:11 22 Feb 10

Woolwell

Thanks for the suggestions will give them a try

Newuser38 10:36 22 Feb 10

Free BMD is a good starting point and also does some parish records but its records are not yet complete. Have a look at it click here the other one to try is familysearch.org which gives you a recrding program and access to some of the Church of the latterday saints world records.

Border View 11:06 22 Feb 10

Hi ol blueeyes, might be a good idea to join the Family Tree Forum click here

Lots of friendly helpful people over there. They have a "how to get started" section which will give you loads of help.

Happy hunting from a long time family history nut.

Barmoor

ol blueeyes 12:57 22 Feb 10

Thanks Gents That gives me something to get on with. Hope I don't turn too many Dark Secrets

Thanks again

Rahere 15:46 22 Feb 10

My experience is that Ancestry's online services are now excellent, but their offline Family Tree Maker software isn't up the the task though. So I suggest you try the free trial for the first few weeks (you have the time you'll get a lot done in that time, if you get a lot done then you can save it yo your PC, cancel the subscription)

Ancestry have the widest selection of records compared to anyone else, and you get hints to other trees and records to help build your tree - you pay a fair bit per month for it but much better value for research than pay as you go on Findmypast and genesreunited and other sites which promise all sorts of census records, BMD etc but don't have them in full.

What I do is build my tree online where I can attach census records and other documents and then download a gedcom file of this as a backup. This seems to retail the references and some of the pictures and records too. I use Gramps for my offline tree but this is rather complicated!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…