GeForce graphics card power needs.

Klappers 17:52 07 Dec 05

Hello,
I have been looking at a GeForce FX5500 256MB AGP graphics card to replace my FX5200 128MB but i can't seem to find out what power supply it will require. This piece of info seems to be left out of the descriptions. I just wondered if anyone had this card or knew what wattage psu i needed. I currently have a 300W psu, but i don't know if this will be enough? Many thanks for your help.

GaT7 17:59 07 Dec 05

You should be OK with 300W. E.g., this PNY FX5500 requires a minimum of 250W click here & scroll down to MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS.

Check the Geforce FX5500 manufacturer's site to confirm. G

Stuartli 18:00 07 Dec 05

I have a GeForceFX 5200 and the manual states that a 300w supply (and preferably 350w) is required; I had to go out and buy a new PSU as a result.

However, for a short while I used the graphics card with a seven year old Enermax 100w PSU (it came with the case) and I didn't experience any problems; however I wasn't playing games or similar heavy demands.

g0nvs 18:06 07 Dec 05

300W MAY be ok, but what other devices are installed ? I think you could be sailing close to the wind with this power supply, esp if it is a no name one.

Klappers 18:26 07 Dec 05

Thanks for the advice. @g0nvs- by devices do you mean cd-rom drive etc? If so, i have a dvd rw, the cd-rom , floppy drive, and the graphics card, i think that would be all. I don't know who makes the psu ,but it has the words Super Red written on it and the letters NMB? Thanks

g0nvs 19:56 07 Dec 05

Your system devices do not seem excessive, but power supplies are quite cheap & easy to replace. Perhaps now would be a good time to think of fitting something more powerful, future proofing if you like.

SG Atlantis® 20:02 07 Dec 05

PC came with, 2 optical drives, 2 sata hdds, a built in card reader and a 256mb geforce 6200 turbo. The PSU is only 300W and I upped the RAM from 1gb to 2gb.

You will run the fx5500 perfectly fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…