geforce fx 5200 graphics problem

cybermumsue 20:20 26 Apr 08

i am at end of tether, a working (tested on other pc) geforce fx 5200 pci with the latest graphics drivers (from nvidia) are installed on my dell dimension 3000 . i have put the onboard graphics adapter on auto too.
the windows xp black screen comes up as usual, but as soon as it is about to go onto the welcome screen, the screen goes black, but the computer screen is on and so is the pc as usual.

i have looked at other help sites to no avail.

help?!!!

sue

GaT7 20:58 26 Apr 08

Are these the drivers you tried click here?

If no, boot into Safe mode & uninstall the ones you tried, reboot & install the above.

If yes, boot into Safe mode & uninstall the present drivers. Then try some older drivers one at a time - each time uninstalling the previous ones & rebooting: click here / click here / another compatible one from the driver archive click here.

If it still doesn't work (or you run out of patience trying the various drivers!): boot into Safe mode, roll back the drivers in Device Manager, reboot & let Windows install them automatically (or, if it pops up, let the 'Found New Hardware' wizard download the drivers & install them). G

Stuartli 22:08 26 Apr 08

Try the older nVidia drivers - you seem to have to select the latest drivers to match particular newer cards these days (even though they are supposed to be backwards compatible).

DieSse 22:59 26 Apr 08

If you have an LCD screen - make sure you have not set the resolution, and particularly the refresh rate, too high. If the refresh rate is too high it will switch off the monitor. 60Hz is correct for an LCD screen.

As the screen changes to the welcome screen, that's when the drivers and settings come into operation - so that argues that something there is causing the problem.

DieSse 23:01 26 Apr 08

If the display works fine in safe mode - safe mode does not have the drivers (and associated settings) loaded - so that tells you where you should be looking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…