Geforce 6600GT AGP-need to connect to PSU?

dagwoood 20:28 21 Dec 04

I'm toying with the idea of buying this new Nvidia graphics card, but I can't find anywhere if(as I suspect)you will need to connect it to the power supply, and it's not just a case of fitting it into the AGP slot and it'll receive all its power requirements from there?

Cheers, dagwoood.

JFT 21:10 21 Dec 04

Dagwood, if its the same way ATI cards connect, it will probably have a connector that clips onto the power supply cable for one of your spare IDE channels.

Technotiger 21:19 21 Dec 04

Hi, I don't know about NVidia, but I have an ati Radeon 9200/128mb fitted in the agp slot only. I have never had to fit Power to any graphics card. My neighbour has NVidia, again with no Power connection other than the agp slot.

Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:25 21 Dec 04

click here and click here

views of both sides of the borad, no signs of a power socket. It must get its power from the AGP slot

pete-290318 21:34 21 Dec 04

you can see to the right in the 2nd of fruitbats links there is a power socketIt is white in colour. It is the same plug as used on a HDD or cd drive. The cards usually are supplied with a splitter cable. you will have no problem in coupling to your power supply.

gudgulf 21:57 21 Dec 04

click here
Definitely does need the extra power connection.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:14 21 Dec 04

My apolgies I missed that socket. A visit to the opticians seems in order.

dagwoood 23:39 21 Dec 04

Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me guys.

As it's a new card, I had a feeling that it would need to be connected to the PSU, as most, if not all, modern higher spec cards are normally like this.

Thanks again, dagwoood.

The Sack 17:51 22 Dec 04

The PCI-E version will not need a molex the AGP version will.

gl69 17:01 03 Mar 05

It definately does need connecting to the PSU. Just bought one (MSI card - awesome!)

2500+barton 20:27 13 Mar 05

i bought the same card msi nx6600gt its a awesome card got mine clocked to 550/1100 she plays doom 3 lovely!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…