GeForce 6600 with a 300 Watt PSU

Klappers 13:01 01 Jan 06

Hi,
I just wondered if anyone knows whether or not a GeForce 6600 agp will work in my pc that has a 300W power supply. Is it likely to over heat? Thanks

SG Atlantis® 13:08 01 Jan 06

minimum tehy say is 300w to 350w PSU, I emailed nvidia about this.

However most recommend not less than a high quality 400w.

Do you have much attached to the machine, that is, HDDs, optical drives etc?

Klappers 13:13 01 Jan 06

I think it's 2 optical drives, 2 HDD's and a floppy drive. Problem is it's a custom case , and the psu is hard to change, which is why im trying to find out what will work with it, thanks.

gudgulf 13:16 01 Jan 06

Have a look at this click here

Measured at the plug socket.....the set up is an Athlon FX57 with 2 Asus dual 7800GT cards (tats 4 gpu units) and it takes under 400W continuous power.

If that monster will run with 400W then your pc will manage with any half decent 300W supply.

SG Atlantis® 13:17 01 Jan 06

I'd say NO.

esp, with a couple of hdds, optical drives etc installedon a 300w.

I'm on the same boat as you, I'd like to upgrade the graphics but I don't wanna change the PSU (300w also), so I haven't.

Totally-braindead 13:22 01 Jan 06

I've just started my own thread as I think I may have a power supply problem, the only comment I can make in your case is if the power supply is a generic one and not a quality branded power supply it may have a problem, not perhaps with overheating but with being unstable. But the only way to be certain would be to try it.

Cybermaxx 13:22 01 Jan 06

I think you'll be alright, if the PSU isn't one of those cheapo makes. A vanilla 6600 doesn't use all that much power.

Mine only has a 250 watt PSU, and it's running:-

Radeon 9600XT
P4 2.66
DVD Rom
CD-RW
Hard drive
Floppy
1 gig of RAM
USB modem, card reader, joystick and gamepad

Then again, it's Fortron Source, and I've been led to believe that they make good products......

ACtually, I am still considering getting a 6600GT, and keeping this PSU!

Klappers 13:34 01 Jan 06

cheers for the replies. Much appreciated. I think my psu is a good one, so i might try it and see what happens. I forgot to ask though, you can get 128mb and 256mb versions of this card. Which is likely to be better and would 256 use any more power?

Cybermaxx 13:45 01 Jan 06

With a card as low spec. as the 6600, the 128Mb will do, because it isn't really fast enough to exploit the extra memory. If you can afford it, I would go for the GT model, anyway! It's a lot better. About £100.......

benchmark evidence to back up my post!

click here

gudgulf 15:00 01 Jan 06

That was the intention of my post..........you probably have no need to upgrade your psu.....On the other hand some cheaper models do not deliver the goods when pushed.

If you have around £50 pounds to spare then a 400+ watt good quality power supply is a sensible replacement for any psu included with a pc case.

A stable supply of clean power is of benefit to the whole system......as is having a bit of spare capacity over and above what your pc actually needs.

The sensible thing to do is to put the new graphics card in and see what happens......if your system runs well and the new card performs as expected there is absolutely no NEED to spend on a new supply......but do still consider it as a future upgrade.

BigRik 15:42 01 Jan 06

I'm running an overclocked 6600gt on a 300 watt psu with no problems whatsoever. In my opinion, the second half of gudgulfs' second posting, from "A stable supply..." onwards, really hits the nail on the head, as that is exactly what I did!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now