//some 3rd party need geo

GeForce 2 MX 400 - 27 of them!!!

Jester2K II 14:27 18 Jun 03

Got a problem on a Windows XP Pro system.

PC is very unstable and locks up at the drop of a hat. Have solved a few problems such as 5% disk space remaining and Bugbear Virus.

However i have a problem with the Graphics Card. It insists on installing itself multiple times.

In Device Manager the GeForce 2 MX 400 is listed at least 20+ times. Some have the Yellow exclamation mark, some don't (about 50 / 50%) If i remove them all and leave one working on the next reboot it insists its found new hardware and runs the quick wizard in the system tray (no prompts) but it does this over and over uintil when its finished it has 20+ GeForce 2 MX 400s - Yay!!!!

Anyone? What? How? Why?

Also occassionally on rebbot i get PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. But thats another thread. Last Know Good option sorts this until the next reboot...

beastieboy 15:27 18 Jun 03

U tried putting another card in? All windows updates downloaded? Latest driver?

I had something like this with my game theater xp soundcard, I had to un-install everything to do with my graphics card, reboot and it was ok

Janusz

Jester2K II 15:57 18 Jun 03

Haven't got anoither card to hand. Tried latest WHQL Detonator Drivers. Going to try clearing out and using older WHQL drivers.

Jester2K II 16:01 18 Jun 03

Also is there any reason for this card to have a power supply from outside the case???

The reason i ask is it appears there was a cable plugged in to a round socket on the back (not other possible socket for it to go into!!!) which terminates at the power strip via a transformer type thing (small black box)!!!

DieSse 17:20 18 Jun 03

"Also is there any reason for this card to have a power supply from outside the case???"

None at all - take it out!!

I think you've got a transformer plugged into the Video-out socket - fortunately I can't see that the transformer lead would be able to supply a damaging voltage in such a socket, but it ceratinly shouldn't be there.

Jester2K II 17:29 18 Jun 03

"I think you've got a transformer plugged into the Video-out socket" Thats what i said to the owner - he just smiled!!!

Jester2K II 17:30 18 Jun 03

But what wouyld have a power socket shaped exactly like a round video out socket?? Didn't get any details from the transformer though!

Jester2K II 17:32 18 Jun 03

Just to confirm - the socket the transformer was plugged into is the round black one similar to this picture

click here

Jester2K II 17:58 18 Jun 03

Just finished defragging the very fragmented Hard Drive. 4 hours to defrag 7 Gb....

Pulled the G Card out and the chip marked Chrontel CH7007A-T is burnt out over 25% of its surface area!!!!!!!

Hmmmm He says a "Mate" built it for him. Who plugged the power into the Graphics card who knows.

Trip to the shops tomorrow to see if a new card does the trick!

How much for a basic GeForce 2 MX 400??

barrie_g 18:32 18 Jun 03

the round hole looks like a composite s-video out socket, if you go to a local computer shop you should be able to get a GeForce 2 MX 400 for about £30-£40

Jester2K II 18:36 18 Jun 03

barrie_g - that matches with the markings on the card. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…