gcac.exe file

tony43 14:01 04 Jan 06

gcac.exe file tries to access the internet from my pc then shows warning that i may be connected to a premium rate line
i cannot delete the file
i can only keep blocking it but the firewall warns me every 3 mins that it is blocking
please could someone help

Hamish 14:25 04 Jan 06

Have you tried A2 squared click here

Hamish 15:22 04 Jan 06

Also click here

anthony01 00:15 03 Feb 06

I have got exactly the same problem with this gcac.exe program. Did Tony 43 get it sorted and if so, how. First I knew of it was when I got a prompt from BT to tell me about unusual useage of my telephone to access premium rate number.

badhair1963 01:08 03 Feb 06
  anthony01 09:16 03 Feb 06

thanks for the info. as a complete beginner, how do i go about getting rid of the culprit file.

badhair1963 13:59 03 Feb 06

Turn off System Restore by clicking Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> System Restore -> Turn off System restore. Reboot your computer into safe mode (hold down the "Del" key while you reboot. It's near your right-hand "Shift" key. Under the options that come up when the computer starts, choose "Safe Mode".

While in Safe Mode, run a virus check with up to date virus definitions. This should clear the virus. Re-enable System Restore (see above). Restart your computer.

If that doesn't do the trick, get back to us. Someone else might have a better idea.

anthony01 22:11 03 Feb 06

Couldn't find System Restore on my Windows 98 machine but ran virus and spybot check in safe mode - nothing much turned up. But then went into Windows Explorer, found gcac file and deleted it. The system didn't previously let me delete it but it did this time ?because I was in safe mode? Anyway, things seem to be OK now. Very grateful to you for taking an interest. Fingers crossed and I'll see what happens next.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac