Gatway & a black & white cube

Graphicool1 14:30 27 Mar 09

Hi All

I've just aquired an old PC that was headed for a skip. I put a HDD in it. The sound and graphics cards are ok. In fact everything runs fine. Except for one thing...

When it boots, the first thing I see is the word 'Gateway' in green lettering right across a black screen. Above it is a large white cube, with black patches. Across the bottom of the screen in white, it reads...

If you want to see the messages click the 'TAB' button.

Then it goes straight to the line of white countdown increments moving across the screen. Then on to the welcome screen, before accessing Windows.

My question is BIOS related, how can I get rid of the 'Gateway' screen and have the regular white writing on black. Telling me the system details?

Graham. 14:40 27 Mar 09

It's the Manufacturer's branding, it will be burnt on chip.

But I could be wrong, I often am...

Sea Urchin 14:57 27 Mar 09

Don't know whether this will help

click here

Sea Urchin 15:04 27 Mar 09

Or I think this program definitely will. They all mention the fact that you would invalidate your warranty, but that is obviously not an issue in your situation

click here

Graphicool1 15:35 27 Mar 09

Your first link was for Vista. This is an old machine, it wouldn't be able to cope with memory hungry Vista. I put WinXP on it.

The second gave no mention to removing the OEM Branding Screen.

I did give the first link a try, but it didn't work.

sunnystaines 15:37 27 Mar 09

used to have a gateway back in 98 remember the logo well. it never bothered me. was a very reliable computer.

Sea Urchin 15:42 27 Mar 09

The poster on this forum used my second link to do exactly what you require, but I haven't used the program myself so can't elaborate

click here

Graphicool1 15:45 27 Mar 09

It's starting to look like you may be right.

sunnystaines - The guy who was chucking it out said it was too slow, I'm not finding it so.

sunnystaines 18:38 27 Mar 09

it will be slow they are now very old

Graphicool1 13:40 28 Mar 09

Thanks for that I downloaded and installed, but there are no instructions how to actually use it?

Sea Urchin 15:38 28 Mar 09

Really sorry about that - as I say I haven't used the program myself so unfortunately cannot help you. Certainly the screenshot of the program does not look very intuitive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now