Gateway MX8554b DVD-RW disk not recognized by XP2

frank201 22:58 14 May 06

How do I get XP2, to recognize my DVD-RW disks? I get the message:
‘Files on this CD are read-only. You can still copy new files to this writable CD, which will replace files already on the disk.’
Whatever I try to do on the DVD-RW there are other similar messages saying the disk is a CD and the action cannot be executed.
I use Nero 6.6 as my burning software with Phillips DVD+RW disks.
Can anyone help please?

skidzy 07:08 15 May 06

Is your Dvd writer RW+ only....Some discs can be a little temperomental,try using a different make and see if that works ok.
Forgive me if you have already tried this.

The Old Mod 08:06 15 May 06

Hi, 1st thing to do is find out what formats your writer will burn to, unless you already know that, either + or - or both. Then use the correct type, I would also use cdrs, they are so cheap now, and not cdrws.

frank201 16:29 15 May 06

The DVD writer is an 8x DVD + - RW multiformat double layer Drive - To read DVDs and CDs and write CDs, DVD+, DVD- and large Dual Layer DVD

DieSse 18:15 15 May 06

You need to be using In-CD to use your -RW discs as if they were regular drives. The standard use of Nero writes to disks in a different manner.

In-CD comes with Nero, but needs to be installed and running in the background.

Mavericke 00:11 18 May 06

The best thing is to get yourself a full version of Nero which is separate from the one which you are using now.

DieSse 01:17 18 May 06

*The best thing is to get yourself a full version of Nero*

Nero6.6 is a full version - I use it myself.

frank201 00:48 19 May 06

The version of Nero on the laptop is It appears that the next version up is Nero 7 and I’d be not too happy to buy that at present given the negative reports of it on Amazon UK.

Using InCD has not fixed the problem. Though I think it should have.

What I’m tying to do is to use a DVD+RW as an ordinary disk to read and write stuff to over and over – all 4.7 GB of it. Every DVD+RW burned ends up as a closed CD with a variety of messages as to why the disk cannot be written to, copied from or files renamed or deleted.

Might the problem not lie in the DVD+RW disk being used? This would be confusing to me as the drive is a DVD+ -RW.

What is the difference between a DVD+RW and a DVD-RW.

DieSse 00:56 19 May 06

InCD will only format CD-RW and DVD-RW media. You can use it like a floppy from your Windows Explorer or from ´My Computer´.

From the Nero support FAQs.

frank201 14:33 19 May 06

I popped into PCWorld on the Old Kent Road today to buy some DVD-RW. The guy on the support counter said no DVD disk would do what I wanted. (i.e. to delete some files etc. not all of them.)
This is what he said.
No DVD allows the deletion of say one data file from it or say to rename a single file because ‘there is no technology for this’ yet.. He said the rewritable DVD disk can only be completely erased and then written to again and that no DVD disk now available can behave as a 1.44 MB floppy disk or a hard drive disk naturally does.
Is this true? Can anyone confirm this?

DieSse 14:37 19 May 06

No it isn't true - Read the Nero FAQ - I quoted directly from it above. I think they would know compared to the guy in PCWorld.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…