Gateway laptop problem - drivers

jaimie 13:08 27 Nov 10

I have a gateway laptop model MX6025 which I bought in the USA in 2005. The machine became very sluggish and eventually would not run at all. I have formatted the drive and put a fresh licenced copy of XP on it which works fine except of course I have no drivers for sound, wireless etc. The gateway site has drivers there but the sound driver does not load nor does the wireless driver. Anyone any ideas on where I could get drivers for these things please?

James

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:33 27 Nov 10
  GaT7 13:56 27 Nov 10

jaimie, did you follow the install instructions that come with each of the drivers?

E.g. to install Audio drivers, these are the instructions mentioned for one of them click here (instruction links are available with the downloads):

"Installation

After you have downloaded and double-clicked the file (Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565.exe), files self-extract and copy into the C:\Cabs\Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 folder on the hard drive.

1. From the Start menu, click Run.

2. In the Run dialog box, type: C:\Cabs\Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565\Hxfsetup.exe. Click OK.

3. The driver automatically loads in the background. No user interaction is required.

4. New hardware is automatically detected.

5. Installation is complete, and the installer automatically closes."

--------------------------------

Fruit Bat, the link you provided are paid-for driver downloads. The necessary downloads are freely available at the Gateway website as mentioned by jaimie. His problem is installing them. G

jaimie 14:34 27 Nov 10

I have followed all of the instructions with the dowloads but the message I get with the audio is just the word FAILURE and the dialog box closes. I have tried this about ten time now with the same result. Any more ideas?

James

GaT7 14:43 27 Nov 10

Try to update the missing drivers via Device Manager. To do this: Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > right-click the missing driver entries one at a time > choose > Update Driver > In the 1st screen of Hardware Update Wizard (HUW) select 'Yes, this time only' & follow the wizard to completion.

If no joy with that, do the same as above, but at the last HUW step:
- Choose 'No, not this time'
- On the next screen, select 'Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)'
- On the next screen, select 'Don't search. I will choose the driver to install'
- On the next screen, click on the Have Disk button
- Browse to where you have the downloaded unzipped drivers (for the related hardware you are updating now) & select any file that it lets you & click on Open. Follow the wizard to completion & reboot if it asks you to. It's important that the drivers are in their unzipped or unpacked state for them to install this way.

One other thing you can try is by visiting the Windows Update site click here & clicking on the Custom button. Once the scan completes, look under 'Hardware Optional' in the left column & install the updates offered there. Reboot once it completes. G

GaT7 14:48 27 Nov 10

Sorry, for the 1st & 3rd ones to work you need to be connected to the Internet. G

jaimie 15:46 27 Nov 10

Hi Crossbow7. I just tried what you suggested and the conexant driver started to load and then I got a BSOD, so I tried again and got another BSOD so I guess it doesn't like the drivers I got from the gateway site

Regards

James

GaT7 15:53 27 Nov 10

If you can connect the laptop to the Internet, try the 1st & 3rd methods. G

jaimie 17:14 27 Nov 10

Hi Crossbow7 I'm connecting via a usb dongle to my home network, that is how I downloaded the drivers from the gateway site - it's real problem

James

GaT7 17:18 27 Nov 10

"...that is how I downloaded the drivers from the gateway site..."

If you follow the 1st & 3rd methods, you'll be downloading the drivers off the Microsoft site. G

jaimie 13:31 28 Nov 10

I googled this problem and other people have had the same thing. It is along the lines of don't click on the setup buttong but type the entire path into the run dialog box and work from there. It worked and I now have sound and wireles networking. Thanks for help everyone

James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac