Gateway laptop hard drive problem

Docking Bay 94 12:55 08 Aug 09

I have a Gateway laptop which came with Vista pre-installed (factory setup).

I am getting a Stop Error when trying to re-install Vista from restore DVD, have since installed a new 320 GB SATA drive, Vista installation gets to about 10% and then I get the stop error indicating
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (XP setup indicates no hard drive is installed/connected)

Have checked and re-seated memory and have tried another HD but still no joy. There is nothing in the BIOS for SATA operation although the hard drive is recognised in the BIOS.

Is there anything else that I can try as the Gateway support is useless.

Thanks

Lee.C 15:42 08 Aug 09

Quite often these Restore discs just contain the program to initiate the restore and then use hidden data on the (original) hard drive to reinstall the system data.
I wonder if the crash is because it can't find the hidden data it's looking for?

Also, can you clarify what you mean by "XP setup indicates no hard drive is installed/connected"?
Do you mean you tried to install XP separately to see what happened, or was this part of the page fault error message?

Docking Bay 94 15:55 08 Aug 09

Yes I am using another brand new hard drive so that might explain why it can't find this hidden data to reinstall the system data.

I did try and install XP separately, loads setup files ok but once I press Enter to start the install I get the error that setup states that no hard drive is installed.

The hard drive is viewable in the BIOS which is strange, the drive is brand new.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:05 08 Aug 09

I did try and install XP separately, loads setup files ok but once I press Enter to start the install I get the error that setup states that no hard drive is installed.

XP cannot see a SATA drive unless you load the drivers from a floppy disk t the F6 prompt at the beginning of the XP setup routine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced