Gateway GT5052b recovery problem

jonargent 23:33 21 Feb 08

Hi all,

I've had my PC for about 9 months, and after all the software etc thats been on and off it, its starting to get slower and slower, as well as the odd glitch. After removing all my documents etc on to my external, I tried the recovery CD's I'd just made with Gateways software, and it looped over and over, asking for disc 1, finishing with that, asking for disc 2, then asking for disc 1 again, over and over. Tried burning the recovery disc as a DVD instead, same problem. Load in to windows and the disc checker says that most files on the recovery partition are dead, so after formating the recovery partition (I regret that now!) I can't even get into the recovery screen, i press F11 for recovery, and get the NTLDR is missing... Gateways site just says to press R when loading, which does the same thing... Will a fresh install from a Microsoft XP Media disk work fine with the computer, or does it have to be from the recovery disk?

woodchip 23:55 21 Feb 08

You are going to have to buy a new OS CD as you deleted the Recovery Partition. So you have now no other option as far as I can see but to start fresh

jonargent 00:00 22 Feb 08

I have access to a copy of XP Media Edition, which is what was preinstalled, and there is a key on the back of the computer, I just wanted to check that this would still work ok...

woodchip 00:08 22 Feb 08

You can but try, it cannot make it any worse

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac