Garmin GPS

W C Boggs 14:28 21 Jul 07

I recently bought a Garmin hand-held GPS system (model eTrex Vista Cx). I also bought the Garmin Great Britain TOPO maps DVD to go with it. The DVD needs to be unlocked by entering a supplied code, at which point it then contacts Garmin for authorisation. When I try this I get "Error accessing the internet (12038). Please verify the internet connection and try again".

My internet connection is working ok, and I have checked the Firewall settings to allow the software incoming / outgoing access. The supplier can't help, and I'm waiting to see if Garmin reply to my e-mail.

Can I appeal to anyone out there who can help me get up and running? Thanks.

Ikelos 14:56 21 Jul 07

have a look at this list, it might help, your one is near the end.

click here

woodchip 15:22 21 Jul 07

Look hear for Info on what to do with the Error number click here

Wrabitt 15:50 21 Jul 07

Spent £850 on a Garmin years ago-big mistake! Almost impossible to use and even if you do manage you must decide exactly where you are going and spend the evening before at the pc sorting it all out!
Best get an OS map-the worlds best nav aid!

Dipso 16:03 21 Jul 07

In my experience Garmin will eventually repond to your email. For a quicker response, if you can contact them by phone I believe their CS is very helpful.

Al94 16:14 21 Jul 07

Have you tried posting on this forum? click here

namtas 16:28 21 Jul 07

Spent £850 on a Garmin years ago-big mistake! I can say from experience that they have improved from years ago. Not only are they a third of that price but you can programme your location as you eat your toast.

Lettervanman 20:42 21 Jul 07

I also bought a Garmin some years ago,long before they were all the rage. Yes it did cost close to £500 but I still have it and it still works,stick with it I think they are the dogs....!

W C Boggs 20:40 23 Jul 07

Thanks for your replies.

Turned out that the problem was at Garmin's end, not mine. If anyone else has this problem, phone the Garmin help desk and they'll e-mail you instructions on how to get your maps unlocked via the website.

bri2007 20:58 24 Jul 07

bought a cs 60 as was always getting lost and wife refused to come out with me. Took some time to work out but found best buy was walking world guide about £13 together with their PNF disk £10
This together with google maps free means you quikly load up waypoints from the pc . view almosy every metre of the walk and will never get lost again. Stick with it because its fantastic whien you crack it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac