Garbage text printing in Windows XP

pfwatson 17:06 02 Jan 04

I have a new HP deskjet 5652 printer which I have connected with a parallel cable to my PC running Windows XP Professional. When I try to print anything it simply prints garbage text at the top of multiple pages. Can any one help?

LeadingMNMs 17:08 02 Jan 04

Try reinstalling the drivers or try to find a newer one.

pfwatson 17:11 02 Jan 04

Have already done this by downloading latest from HP site. Can you suggest any other settings in XP or BIOS to consider, please ???

Forum Editor 17:13 02 Jan 04

of a driver problem. You should reinstall the software that came with the printer.

Was there a specific reason for using the parallel cable? The printer comes ready for a USB connection as well.

Forum Editor 17:14 02 Jan 04

you have the printer set as the system default printer, and that your applications aren't trying to print to your previous printer?

pfwatson 17:23 02 Jan 04

I have removed all previous drivers for a Lexmark printer.

Indeed it is set as the default.

The reason for using the parallel cable is that when using the USB cable, XP completely hangs!! - and I have to reboot each time. At least with the parallel I can keep working to resolve the problem.

I'll try again to uninstall, and re-install the drivers. I can continue to communicate with you on this PC in the meantime.......

wee eddie 17:49 02 Jan 04

When you set it up.

Did it successfully print the Test Page?

pfwatson 17:55 02 Jan 04

No, no other USB problems.

No, I have never managed to print a test page with either the old Lexmark, or the new HP deskjet since upgrading to Windows XP Professional

wee eddie 18:02 02 Jan 04

Over to the experts.

My first thought is to, delete all separately loaded printer software, try and go with the M$ Plug & Play Offering.

Djohn 18:16 02 Jan 04

as above have said, remove the drivers and any printers that are listed in your Add/Remove programs.

Do not connect the printer to the PC. Insert the driver Cd for your printer and only connect the USB cable from the printer to the PC when told to do so by the on-screen instructions.

Ignore the pop-up message saying "New hardware found" and let the HP software manage the install by itself. If you react to the found new hardware message, you will confuse the install.

BlueMeanie 21:05 02 Jan 04

Is the cable fully seated at both ends? Or why not try a new quality parallel cable.

Might be worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…