Gaobot worm in GetRight Download accelerator

Boluwd 12:19 25 Mar 04

I have just updated the McAfee dat file to latest 4343.dat. During the verification and reinstallation of the Virus Scan engine, McAfee alert appeared stating that W32/Gaobot.worm.tm was present and in the C:\Programs\GetRight\ getright.exe. I chose to delete this file and a new scan no longer shows an infection. However, I am trying to uninstall GetRight and I cannot as the getright.exe is no longer there! The other thing is that I have GoBack installed as a replacement for XP Home's own system restore. Will this mean that the virus is still present in one of GoBack's backup files? How can I now uninstall GetRight and is my PC clean now???

anon1 12:27 25 Mar 04

it may have been a false alarm in the first place. The best option is to reinstall get right and then uninstall it correctly (add/remove programs) you may find that on reinstall that there is no longer a virus. If indeed it was a worm then it depends on how long it was there and how often you used go back to store recovery options.

Boluwd 13:32 25 Mar 04

I have just gone to the Getright home page and lo 'n behold this is what they have to say

McAfee Deleting Your Copy of GetRight???
March 24. We all got our daily McAfee virus scanner updates today, and suddenly McAfee thinks a number of the recent versions of GetRight (5.01 and 5.02) are infected with a virus: W32/Gaobot.worm.tm. GetRight is NOT infected, it is a false message from McAfee...but McAfee also then deletes your GetRight.exe file to "clean" this "infection"!
Fortunately, the new GetRight 5.1 version isn't flagged and works fine. So if you're seeing this, please upgrade to GetRight 5.1! And complaining to McAfee might get their incorrect virus info fixed sooner too!

Looks like you were right "anon1" !!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now