Gangsters game wont play .

magnus35 17:49 29 Aug 06

I bought second hand games Gangsters and Tomb Raider II , both produced for Windows 95 / 98 / ME and both by Sold Out Software . I am using XP . I can get Tomb Raider to work but although Gangsters installed successfully it wont play . The disc has to be in the drive ( D:\ ) when playing the game but on clicking the game's icon a message appears thus " Sorry - Unable to initialize CD Player . Please make sure that no other application is accessing the CD . " I have tried restarting the PC to ensure that everything else was definitely closed but the same thing happens . Please can anybody help this novice .

I also posted a message a few days ago about another Sold Out Software game - Admiral Sea Battles . It won't install as it can't get past the dialogue box which asks what size /type of installation is required - it won't allow me to select . It looks as though it is unable to read the hard disc as the bottom line of that part of the dialogue box reads " Available space ???/ ???? " I would be very grateful if anybody knows what is going on there as well .

Is it just my luck or is there something I should know about earlier Sold Out Software games ?

SANTOS7 18:02 29 Aug 06

click here
have you tried the compatability wizard, the link may help..

magnus35 19:03 29 Aug 06

Thanks SANTOS7 .

The link is interesting but most of the terminology is alien to me . The site where you can find out whether a particular game will run on your PC appears to apply to prospective purchasers of currently available new games .
I did try compatibility mode but it made no difference . The thing is it wont run in any mode as the program seems to think that the CD drive is already in use . It is , by the game program itself . What makes it doubly strange to me is that the other game has the same scrpt on the box regarding specifications yet will play .

Magnus35 .

magnus35 20:06 29 Aug 06

Thanks again SANTOS7 .

One suggestion on the link you provided was to visit the publisher's site . I did that and struck gold immediately . Someone had posed the very same question that I was asking and a patch was available for free download . Sorted !

I couldn't see the other game though - Admiral Sea Battles - maybe it's just too old .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…