Gaming problems

Fleetblue 22:44 03 Apr 08

Need help with some problems I'm finding when trying to load games from disc. Some load OK, but with others I pop the disc in and nothing happens.
I wonder if it could be my graphics card. At present I have Intel (R) 82915g/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family. I notice that one of the games "The Settlers" recommends ATI Radeon 8500 VGA Card. As far as graphics cards go I'm totally in the dark. Does this look like a good option? Do I purchase it and install it manually? My PC is an EMachine 5260 with DVD+/-RW. Could this be inhibiting loading of some CD/DVD ROM games? I have successfully installed "Imperial Glory" from a DVD-ROM, yet cannot even begin to load "Agatha Christie Mysteries", for example, from DVD-ROM. Any more info required I will try to supply.

brundle 23:25 03 Apr 08

Onboard graphics won't be much use for modern games, but they ought to install regardless. Is it only game discs that fail to work in your CD/DVD drive? Can you view the contents of the discs even when they won't install?

Devil Fish 23:30 03 Apr 08

sounds like you have onboard graphics which from a gaming perspective is not good

the radeon 8500 is an old card and agp i believe
to upgrade graphics 1st you will need to accertain what slot you have if any Eg AGP or PCI-E then you would need to look at your power supply rating before you determine which card to go gor

and finally budget how much have you available to spend on a card

mrwoowoo 01:12 04 Apr 08

Totally agree with brundle.
Nothing to do with your graphics card.
Why would a dvd drive not reading a disc be connected to your GPU?
Your dvd rom drive is on the way out,or at least the laser needs cleaning.Could try updating it's firmware which may work.
Rom drives nowadays are cheap and cheerful.As such,some don't last too long and start getting picky about which discs they read.

Fleetblue 15:17 04 Apr 08

Reply to brundle. Yes it's only game discs and when one fails to install I can't view the contents. Seems to be totally abitrary. I have successfully installed "Imperial Glory", "Rise of Nations", "Praetorians", "Age of Empires" and "Championship Manager 2008", yet have failed with "Ancient Wars Sparta" (which came in the same package as "Praetorians"),"The Settlers","Heroes of Might and Magic" and "Agatha Christie Mysteries".

Reply to mrwoowoo. Because some of those games which won't install specified particular graphics cards which I don't have I wondered if this might be what was wrong.

Ditch999 15:22 04 Apr 08

Some installers check your PCs specifications before installing and quit if it is no good. The advice to get a graphics card is good especially when you are playing so many games.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac