Gaming pc

JH09 21:27 11 Nov 07

OK i'm going to be getting a pc for xmas thats primarily going to be used for gaming. Having looked around various websites (in particular this one) Cougar-Extreme seams the best on value and service.

Now being an absolute begginner on what makes a good or bad pc ive asked around and now have a rough idea of what i want.

Heres what i've come up with;

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz 8Mb Cach,
4Gb Corsair Memory DDR 800,
400GB SATA Hard Drive,
Impress Case,
Colors 550Watt Silent Upgrade,
640Mb Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card DX10,
QC - ASUS P5N-ESLI 1333fsb-DDR800x4 SLI motherboard (Dual graphics),
18X DVD+/-RW (Samsung),
No Floppy Disk Drive,
Integrated Sound Card,
Trust 2.1 SP-2650d Speaker Set,
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (OEM)
£809.82

Basically i just want something thats going to be able to play current games like Cod4 or Bioshock, will this?

Thanks in advance Jack.

Totally-braindead 22:26 11 Nov 07

Looks nice, don't forget a decent monitor. And should mention the memory. You've gone for 4 gig, windows 32 bit which includes the 32 bit version of Vista will only see 4 gig total and that includes your graphics card. Not saying that it causes any problem but when you check your system it will not report 4 gig of RAM it will report 3 gig and 360 mb.
Also Vista Basic misses out some of the stuff that Premium has so you might want to reconsider that and there will be a hit with Vista in frame rates, a lot of gamers are sticking to XP but of course the problem with doing that is there are some games that are Vista only so I don't know what to advise here.

JH09 22:38 11 Nov 07

Thanks alot for the reply.
I dont fully understand what you mean bout the report part does that mean i'm still getting 4 gig and it's just saying 3 or am i actually getting less? Also how big of a problem is this?
Will i be able to upgrade my version of vista later as i'm fairly sure i'll use the "gaming version" as i can get it free.
As for the moniter i could actually use some help there - I've got a samsung 19inch(i think) tv not sure what (i'll get a link if necessary) it's the black one that like everyone has. Aniway this can be used as a pc moniter right although i'm assuming i'd need some sort of cable or something?

Thanks again.

Totally-braindead 22:46 11 Nov 07

Regarding the memory I don't know as I'm not using Vista but theres a few mentions of it in the Vista Forum.
Don't understand the second part of your query, there is no gaming version of Vista and you can upgrade from basic to premium but it will cost.
Buy a proper monitor, don't use a TV.

brundle 22:54 11 Nov 07

You're not getting 4gb to actually use, as tb says, some of that memory is required by hardware - 32 bit Windows can only access 4gb of memory addresses in total (2^32) and some of those addresses are neccessarily occupied by hardware in order for the CPU to communicate with them. Not a huge problem.

donki 10:20 12 Nov 07

You need to check with your supplier, some companies supply the DVI cable some done. I think I know the TV u mean, I have the 32" version. If no DVI cabe is supplied u have a choice of DHmi to DVI or a normal DVI cable. As far as im aware both produce a good quality.

The pc you have chosen will run any game out well. A point to note thou VISTA is a bugger for gamers, alot of games performance is very poor. For example I upgraded to Vista from XP and was playing BIoshock, I used to get FPS of around 30 - 60 on XP, a good perfomance. When I used Vista (yes I had all the correct drivers) the perfomance was 15 - 40, still playable but not anywhere near as nice. I would get XP if you possible could, VISTA maybe in the next 6months.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009