Gaming issue With Half Life 2

Flexphipps 00:50 07 Nov 06

Okay guys, try this on for size.

Have been running HL2 with no problems for months, then after adding another gig of memory to my pc, have been having problems.
Specifically game has been freezing, with the sound looping fast. Pc freezes, and won't allow me to close game down, so have to shut off and reboot.
All other programs run fine, and Pc runs smoothly, however, if i take memory upgrade out, game goes back to running fine.

Steam check says my firewall (zonealarm) may cause probs, but it seems to run fine once memory out.
Memory upgrade is 2 PNY 512Mb pc3200 dimm, ddr 400Mhz, bringing me up to 2gig.

GaT7 00:53 07 Nov 06

This could be due to running your memory in dual-channel where the 2 sets of memory are not 'matched'.

It would help if you tell us your motherboard make & model, & the memory make & spec of the other modules. G

Totally-braindead 11:15 07 Nov 06

If the problems only occur when the extra memory is installed and the problem stops when you remove it then it can only be the new memory that is the source of the problems.
Agree with Crossbow7 need motherboard make and model and details of all the memory you have installed. Either its a dual channel memory problem or you motherboard doesn't support the amount of memory or its the wrong type of memory.

Totally-braindead 11:16 07 Nov 06

Should have said that I can't see how adding more memory would make any difference to any firewall - unless someone else knows better of course.

Flexphipps 16:37 07 Nov 06

Running on an asus p5gd1-fm mobo, capable of taking up to 4 gig of ram.
Memory already installed at purchase manufactured by micron, ddr-sdram 512mb pc3200 x2. Again running at 400mhz.

GaT7 17:55 07 Nov 06

The motherboard & other ram modules look OK, considering the well-known brands (click here - no problem with games for me, though I haven't tried HL2).

If you're running the ram in dual-channel, try switching to single-channel to see if it makes a difference while running HL2.

Also, have you tried only the NEW modules by themselves while running HL2? If there's a problem they may be faulty - a few memory testers: click here, click here & click here. G

wolfie3000 18:02 07 Nov 06

As crossbow has said run a memory test as it seems that the memory is the cause of the problem,

I can garantee that zonealarm isnt causing the problem.

ardubbleyu 11:37 08 Nov 06

Have you tried running HL2 in offline mode? Might eliminate ZoneAlarm...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac