Games not working in Windows XP (home)

Pc2 01:22 18 Jan 03
  Pc2 01:22 18 Jan 03

Where do I start? Games that are Xp compatible do not work on my pc, I must have a problem, the symptoms are: Games load their start screens ok, games loads up and are ready to play, then either Minimize and end up on the taskbar or with my recent game, robot wars Extreme Destruction, just freezes and I have to press the reset button. My comp. spec. is way & above recommended, as is the Graphics card (nvidia geforce 4 440), it has now started to do the same with the Windows XP built-in games ie: Pinball, minimizes to taskbar. Please, if there is anybody out there that has any suggestions (except for a can of petrol and a match) please help me. I have tried getting rid of the Anti Virus and Firewall, with no luck at all. Heres hoping....Cliff

King Diamond 01:59 18 Jan 03

Have you downloaded the latest Nividia drivers for your card? Think they are at version 41.72 or something like for the detonator drivers.

Check your device manager and make sure everything is ok in there also.

Make sure all the cards are seated firmly into their slots and screwed in, so they can't wobble.

What sound are you using and can you update those drivers as well?

Go to the windows update site also and get the critical & driver downloads.

If you have done all this, then...gulp!

Make sure your monitors refresh rate is set up propely also.

Pc2 11:40 18 Jan 03

Thanks for replying King Diamond. I have already tried all the Upgrades & Updates, so much so that I think I am in the year 3010. So it looks like the Petrol & Matches!! I was just wondering, could it be SP1???? thats the only major change I have done and I must admit that nothing has worked properly since then, no, can't be that simple surely????? Anyway I will continue to seek an answer and thankyou again King Diamond. Regards. Cliff

mark3110 11:58 18 Jan 03

I have had no problems with sp1 and games. You might want to uninstall all nvidia drivers and use the ones from Microsft Update. Also have you installed the full version of DirectX9 as opposed to the beta drivers released end of last year?

Regards

MArk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…