games freeze-have to alt tab to unfreeze+random shut downs

mmaghrabi 01:34 16 Feb 15

Hi all,

i just got a new PC.it was working relatively fine for about a month until it started freezing when playing games.the only games i am playing are gtaIV eflc and Dragon age inquisition.

both games freeze after 30 minutes or so of Gameplay

In GTA it freezes like the game went to halt ,character stops then sound fades out and it ends up not responding. as i have learned recently that going to the task manager alt+ctrl+del ..gets me out to the desktop..for which when i alt tab back to the game it unfreezes and works normally ..however with missing dialogue..so all he sounds, music and such is ok ..but spoken audio goes away..which actually makes me think its an audio issue.

dragon age switches of the screen( no signal ) and eventually crashes the PC.

aside from gaming i do get occasional BSOD's ..specially when the pc goes to sleep/which i have set to Never sleep now..however i got a whole system freeze a day ago with the "sleep off"

i have GPUZ running and cant find any overheating in the logs from the VGA card or the CPU.they are actually very close to idle temp .

another thing to add is that i am using another audio interface/sound card for music production..so there is another audio driver on the computer...and i get the freezing whether i am using the on board sound or the audio interface

also i have just purchased an extra HDD..1TB .and i am using it with my older 320gb.i have just installed it a week ago .which makes me think it could be the problem

though ..while i didn't have gaming problems before getting the hard drive i still had the random BSOD which does not make me convinced that it is the hard drive that i is causing the problem..plus both games are not installed on the same hard drive

my windows is sill on the old drive.because i am so lazy to reformat and install everything again.

thats all the information i can think of...please let me know if you need further info, or if you need the full dxiag logg

thanks in advance for your assistance

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255) Language: English (Regional Setting: English) System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. System Model: H81M-S2PH BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/04/14 13:09:49 Ver: 04.06.05 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz Memory: 8192MB RAM Available OS Memory: 8084MB RAM Page File: 2577MB used, 13586MB available Windows Dir: C:\Windows DirectX Version: DirectX 11 DX Setup Parameters: Not found User DPI Setting: Using System DPI System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent) DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

mole1944 05:34 16 Feb 15

Sounds like either power transformer problem or somethings overheating,either way it's under guarantee so take/send it back do not try to mend it yourself you will invalidate your guarantee

mmaghrabi 18:53 16 Feb 15

Hi mole1944,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post

It does seem like a hardware issue indeed,

I actually use the pc for music production which is close to or sometimes more demanding than games on the CPU and Ram usage ,yet i am having no problems at all. its seems like the VGA component that is causing the problem .

the thing is that i am only trying to make sure that it is not a software issue, because if it is, i should be able to solve it without voiding the warranty, also i don't think the manufacturer will approve a replacement if it is a software issue(OS, drivers , etc..)

the other problem is that its a 2 hour drive to the shop i got it from .so i really don't want to go there to be told try this or try that .

would you recommend any programs that can scan the PC and identify any hardware failure with the PC ..something like memtest but for all the pc components?

thanks again for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…