Game wont play without administrator powers

plroofing1 02:28 28 Sep 03

I built a PC for my kids from the old parts from my upgraded machine. They run xp on a 1 gig amd athlon cpu.etc etc. While the PC is running fine and networked to mine, I have the following problem. I insatlled a game for them from my account(administrator)on their PC. Now while it shows on all of their desktops it wont play unless I give them administrator powers.
I tried to install it in one of their limited accounts but couldn't due to their limited account status.The game is called Counter Strike.

Would be very gratful for any help
Thanks
Paul.

Gaz 25 03:49 28 Sep 03

For the job you want to do XP pro is your best bet, and then you could set group policy to how you want it. But since I presume you are working with XP Home, am I right? There may be an alternative...

But I am sure in XP home, you can select Run As...

When you right click on the program. This would allow you to then run JUST THAT PROGRAM in Admin account, you should then be able to set this so this program always runs in admin.

Instructions for this are:

Make sure it is the main link, not a shortcut to the game, maybe one from the start menu.

Then right click on the main link to the game, then select Run As...

A dialog box appears, click the bolb next to Run as the following user:

Then put in your username, or select it from the drop down, then type your password in the box below that, then click ok, the program should run with NO problems.

However you may have to do this every time your kids run the game, I am not sure, give it a try and see what happens.

It is good your children cannot run software themselves from my point of view, it stops them installing or removing things that need to be there, such as your Antivirus or Firewall app.

Anyway, hope I was of help.

Regards,
Gareth

PS. Let me know if you need more help.

LincolnArnie 13:07 28 Sep 03

then you can right click the shortcut, select 'Properties' and I think you'll see an option to 'run as a different user' or similar..if you enter the user name and password that you need to run the prog...Robert should be your parents male sibling.

Regards

plroofing1 14:51 28 Sep 03

I should have said that I am running XP pro and not XP home.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…