game problem...

Chezdez 15:10 19 Jan 05

hey guys,
i'm at a my mates house, and just installed rollercoaster tycoon 3 for her. the min spec is 256 RAM, which che has, according to the front of her case anyway. when we ran the game, the following error message appeared

'failed to create direct 3d device

this error has been sent to debug.log'

if i click OK, the game crashes (well the .exe does)

after running direct X, i discover she has only 192MB of RAM. her graphcis card says it is 64MB

so, does this mean that she has onboard graphics, and that the 64MB for the grahpics is coming from the RAM?

if that is so, there's gonna be no way we can get this game to run, is there? well, apart from buying a seperate graphics card

by the way, the PC is a HP pavilion, and the front sticker reads intel celeron D processor 330, 256MB ddr, 80GB HDD, DVD writer, SIS real256E graphics

couldn't tell you the actual model number, sorry

Muzz_former_aol_employee 15:21 19 Jan 05

SIS real256E graphics - This is onboard, and you'll get awful gaming performance even on the lowest detail in game.

She should have enough ram but the onboard system does share this with the system. A game like Rollercoster Tycoon 3 isn't over the top on graphics so you should only need to spend £90 - £120 on a graphics card.

Make sure you check the PC has an AGP slot on the motherboard. I'd consider another 128mb ram too for gaming depending on how clean and tidy the pc is kept.

ACOLYTE 15:22 19 Jan 05

Sounds like its onboard graffix,you may well need another g-card,has she updated the drivers? i dont know if it will help tho.

Chezdez 15:27 19 Jan 05

she only has 256 RAM overall, and this has been split 192 to system, and 64 to graphics

so, would this lack of RAM cause that error message?

as for buying a new graphics card, its her family's PC, and her dad's in charge.....

ACOLYTE 15:36 19 Jan 05

I dont think it the lack of ram thats the problem if the g card was a bit better with more 3d support i think she could run the game with the ram she has.

Chezdez 15:38 19 Jan 05

the spec on the box says that XP needs 256 RAM

but, can i safely say that it is the fault of her graphics card that the game won't work?

ACOLYTE 15:43 19 Jan 05

The game should run with the ram she has all be it slowly and may use a lot of swop file,XP itself needs at least 256mb ram to run just the OS,so if she did wont to get more ram it would improve system performance as well.
But i think a new card should sort the problem,new ram as well would improve the system overall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant