Game of Hearts

Codi 17:10 08 Feb 04

I have just updated my Fire wall by Zone Alarm and every time I try to connect to the internet using internet explorer 6 I receive a warning "Begin a Game of Hearts on the Internet" wants to connect to the internet. I have not knowingly downloaded this program and if I click no the the ZA warning my connection to the internet terminates. I am also running anti virus PC cillin 2000 which has not reported this as a virus. Could anyone advise me how to remove this game from my PC.

VoG II 17:16 08 Feb 04

Internet Hearts is installed with the other games that come with Windows XP. If you really don't want it, Start, Control Panel, Add&Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows components. This may well remove all of the games that come with XP.

It is harmless though quite why it wants to go online if you're not running it is a bit of a mystery.

Joe McG 17:19 08 Feb 04

Codi,

Try running msconfig, and see if it is loading at startup.

Valvegrid 18:13 08 Feb 04

If you want to keep it, get ZA to block access, it shouldn't keep asking after that.

Paul.

Codi 18:44 08 Feb 04

Thanks all, I should have said that I am running on Windows ME, Have removed all games via add remove programs in the control panel and windows setup. But I am still getting the message asking permission to connect to the Internet.
Valvegrid, if I block access to this request then I am unable to gain access to the Internet.
Frustrating!

Valvegrid 17:29 09 Feb 04

"I block access to this request then I am unable to gain access to the Internet."

Really! That is a puzzle. Can you have a look in program control in ZA and see if you can spot the location of the program on your system that wants to access the net so eagerly. I take it you are using IE6.

It may be worth running this click here to make sure it's not spyware.

Paul.

Codi 18:51 09 Feb 04

Thanks Valvegrid

The file is Webtrap.exe which is part of my Antivirus program (PC-cillin 2000) I have e-mailed them and I am waiting for an answer. Have also downloaded Spybot and that has not found any problems. So still a mystery.

Djohn 18:57 09 Feb 04

Codi, are you clicking on the right version? There are two versions of "Hearts" in my games section, [XP Pro.]

One is for local use on your PC, the other is for playing against other people on the net. If you are clicking on this, or have your shortcut associated with it, then it will ask if you want to go on-line each time you go to play.

Indigo 1 19:00 09 Feb 04

I just ran a Google search for Webtrap.exe and got nearly 1000 results. It appears at first glance to be a Trojan and not part of any AV prog.
click here

Valvegrid 19:35 09 Feb 04

Indigo could be right, have a look at the Sophos site, have a look down the list for TFAK.EXE WEBTRAP.EXE

click here

Valvegrid 19:40 09 Feb 04

Maybe not, it does say "The Trojan may attempt to terminate processes with the following names:" So it looks like it's a legit file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…