game controller

Spr 11:18 AM 28 Feb 12

Trying to step up a game controller (from Xbox 360) on my grandson PC/Laptop. In control panel I have opened game control nothing is shown, I’ve tried loading in new hardware nothing happens. Is it possible to have a 360 game controller work on a PC they are both from Micro Soft so you would expect them to be compatible. I’m running Vista 64 bits Thank you

chub_tor 11:55 AM 28 Feb 12
  Ian in Northampton 13:32 PM 28 Feb 12

Personally, just because they're both from Microsoft, I certainly wouldn't expect them to be compatible. The X-Box and PC are hugely different machines. Can you run Microsoft Word on the X-Box? I don't think so (but I may be wrong)- and they're both from Microsoft. It may be different with game controllers, of course.

Personally, I'd have thought you were about to let yourself in for a world of hurt (the thread chub_tor noted is, I think, evidence of that). You may enjoy tinkering to try to get things to work - sometimes, I do - but when a PC-compatible games controller can be had for very little money, I think I'd limit the time I spent trying to get the X-Box controller to work on the PC.

KRONOS the First 16:59 PM 28 Feb 12

A Xbox controller should work perfect well with a PC. I have one myself for the odd game that needs a game pad.(Dead Space 1 for example). you should not need to install drivers, though I must admit I have no experience of Vista but it works very well on Windows 7 64Bit.

Ian in Northampton 18:37 PM 28 Feb 12

Interesting, Chronus. I stand corrected... :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know