Gainward GeForce4 Ti4200 Install Problem

mulligan 20:18 05 Jun 03

Please can someone help with a Gainward GeForce4 Ti4200 Ultra/650-8X XP graphics card installation problem.
My system is Athlon 1400 (10.5x133), A7V133 Motherboard revision 1.04. Bios 1005A, 512 MB PC133, Win ME, DirectX V9.0 (have tried 7 and 8.1), 40Gb HD connected ATA 100 (80Gb HD currently disconnected for back up/disc to disc Ghost) and 300W PSU.
I have tried updating from my old GeForce 2MX 32Mb card following the "Quick Start" manual but although everything initially appears fine games will not run (even after reinstalling). dxdiag.exe hangs following a text box titled SMBIOS Dos Driver, "There may not be enough memory to run this application... Trying to reinstall Via 4-in-1 Drivers hangs. A clean ME windows install with DirectX 7 initially works but with poor benchmarks and limited function, eg NFS 4, no 3D Hardware acceleration. Installing Via 4-in-1 drivers appears to run smoothly but then repeating dxdiag (even after reinstalling DirectX) gives the same error. Bios settings for card are X4 AGP (this card should work at X4 or X8) and aperture 128Mb.
Any ideas (apart from puting the old card back)?

AndySD 21:27 05 Jun 03

Uninstall the grapics card drivers using Detonator Destroyer click here then use the 43.03 detononator drivers click here

Also try using an older version of the 4 in 1 like the 4.43 click here

professor 22:59 05 Jun 03

if what andySD said doesnt work you need to do a full clean install make a winME bootdisk but before you use it go to search and type FORMAT.COM then copy that file to your boot floppy.

then restart you pc with the bootdisk at the winME boot menu press the shift key and F5 keys at the same time this will take you to DOS mode.

from here type FDISK delete partition then re-make primary DOS partition.restart pc after its done but leave bootdisk in again at winME boot menu press shit and F5 keys at the same time to go back to DOS.

now type FORMAT C: /U

let it blitz your drive then do a clean setup.

it would be in your best interests to clear the BIOS - take out the battery on your M\B for 10mins then put it back in then enter BIOS and re-do the settings.keep away from DX9 as well as there are alot of problems with it at the moment so you are in fact adding to them by using it.go with DX8.1.

finally from expirience of winME and fixing the bloody OS its a arsehole with things like games and a fair few of driver installers etc. you would be better off with 98SE you wouldnt get half as many probs.

prof

User-312386 23:06 05 Jun 03

hold on folks

is it an AGP card?

If it is you may need to enable it in the BIOS

mulligan 00:00 06 Jun 03

Thanks for the advice. I've downloaded det 43.03, det destroyer and 4 in 1 v 4.43 (over a dial up modem connection) and I will give it another go tomorrow. It is an AGP card and the bios recognises it as Geforce4 NV28 4.28.02.21.00 128Mb.

mulligan 17:16 07 Jun 03

Finally got rid of this error message and crashes by running 4 in 1 Driver 4.43 as suggested by AndySD and instead of installing driver selecting Uninstall. Windows then restarts and finds "Via tech CPU to AGP Controller" and then all DirectX 9 tests pass.
I initially tried Detonator 43.03 but no difference compared with 41.04 on installation disc. Clean installs with either Win 98SE or Win ME, DirectX 8.1 and 43.3 both caused problems, in Win98 dxdiag resulted in a black screen with a band of green vertical stripes across the top.
I think I'll wait before attempting to get dual monitors or VIVO (analogue video capture) bits working. Thanks again for all the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…