G604T Modem drops connection after one hour

penzance 13:34 08 Oct 05

Hi Taff36
I am using IE on Virgin broadband and XP with sp2, while the connection is up it is great and a lot faster than my old Speedtouch modem (which didn't give me any trouble at all). My wife has a laptop connected with a "dongle" too, but it isn't on long enough to see if the connection will fail. After an hour the router lights are still going as normal, but it is the pc that switches off the connection. Because when I reboot it is OK again for another hour, without doing anything to the router.

Stuartli 15:06 08 Oct 05

Have you checked IE's Tools>Options>Connections>Settings tab>Advanced to ensure that the connection has not been Enabled to shut down after 60 minutes?

It's a while since I used IE but there are two or three configuration settings that could equally affect such behaviour.

Taff36 16:45 08 Oct 05

In the G604T Set Up page click the DHCP Configuration and make sure the lease time is set to 3600 seconds not 360 seconds which is an hour! Click apply then tools>system commands>save all and reboot the router.

Taff36 16:48 08 Oct 05

Second Suggestion. In set Up go to Connection 1 and change the Keep Alive value on the left hand column to 120 minutes (2 Hours).

Stuartli 18:55 08 Oct 05

... which is an hour!

Not according to my mathematics...:-)

penzance 20:02 08 Oct 05

Thanks Taff36. I did what you said, and it WAS set at 3600 sec. so I added a "0" which makes it ten hours now. That should see me through any online period that I am likely to want.
I will let you know how it goes in an hours time, crossed fingers.

penzance 21:01 08 Oct 05

Great news!
This forum has done what D-Link's own help-line couldn't do.
Thank you all who sent suggestions, especially Taff36. What you said worked and the hour has gone by now.
I will know where to come if I get any more problems.
I will close this thread now.

Taff36 15:28 09 Oct 05

It had been a long day! Anyway he got the message but I have to admit your original answer was probably the right one because my router is still set to 3600 with no problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…