G4 Powerbook Conversion

Wallace 00:42 27 Dec 03

I have recently acquired a G4 Powerbook complete with Apple O/S 9. Is there a relatively simple way to convert this to a windows operating system?

ch0pper 03:39 27 Dec 03

The whole point of using a Mac is that it isn't Windows based.

If you want to use Windows software, you'll need to get hold of a Windows emulator for your Mac.

In my view, however, that's like swapping a Porssche for a Mini.

Quiller. 07:35 27 Dec 03

Agree.

and the mini would have 4 flat tyres because of the emulator.

Wallace 08:22 27 Dec 03

Thanks for your thoughts, personally I agree, but unfortunately all the software to be used on this machine needs to be compatible with the software used throughout the company. Is an emulator the only way?

Quiller. 23:34 27 Dec 03

I based my comment on using a G3 I-MAC a few years a go. I bought the emulator to run windows X\P, so I could run certain software on the mac. It was terrible, it brought X\P down to a crawl. the difference to running the mac software and the windows software is summed up perfectly by ch0pper.

I have now a G4 I-book and have bought the software for it. I have installed the airport card and a host other utilities. This machine is first class and leaves windows lagging on a host of operations. Unfortunately it does not do everything I need, so most day to day tasks are done on the x\p machine.

Now that Mr. Bill Gates, spit spit, has the rights to the emulation from apple to x\p, at double the cost of the old emulator. I do not think I will be lining his pockets anymore.

In conclusion the emulator will slowly do the job, but the cost to get the separate software to communicate fully with a windows system would be prohibitive.

How many times have we heard of seamless technology and that computing will take our daily tasks to a fraction of the time. I, for one, have seemed to have missed this. lol

Wallace 00:14 28 Dec 03

Thanks for the information, it looks like I will need to follow the same path as yourself with the G4 to do the real work and my Windows based system to revamp the outcome to the windows compatible main systems.

Like you I refuse to make Gates even richer but the company may do this for me.

Quiller. 22:11 28 Dec 03

Have been having a bit of a think about this.

What I didn't mention was that if you are using jaguar ( 10.2 ) or Panther ( 10.3 ) for the i-book and have either airport, in the apple or a network adapter (rj45) in the p.c. then you can network both machines. The i-book should have a built in network adapter.

This would give you the capability to share folders from one machine to the other. Windows M.E, 2000 or X\P must be on the other machine. If it is then it should work seamlessly. If you have the airport card ( wifi) then the p.c. must also be capable of this and you must have Panther on the mac.

Now whether the info transfered from one to the other is perfectly readable I don't know. I would think that both could interpret the data easily. This may not be the case for expensive software.

Hope this helps a little.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…