fx5500 drivers distorting sound

fishmad pete 13:23 24 Aug 05

Hi
I have just installed a Pny geforce fx5500 video card into my sons computer. All appeared to be ok until we noticed that any WAV sounds played on the computer will become distorted (warbling) as different windows were open. It is more apparent if we use Windows media player with visualisations selected (the moving shapes etc.)
I have tried upgrading my motherboards onboard sound drivers (Sound blaster) and updated the video card drivers from Nvidia. But the problem still occurs. I have uninstalled Nvidia drivers and used a generic VGA setting with this mode the sound reverts back to normal. I have also replaced the card with the original card (ATI) and that works ok as well.
My motherboard is a bit old but is a gigabyte with a 1Ghz athlon processor 512Mb ram. Any pointers would be appreciated otherwise PC world will be getting this card back. THis is my very first Nvidia card and I'm not impressed|

Midsman2005 13:28 24 Aug 05

If you have a sound card installed in a PCI slot. Try moving it to the one furthest slot away from the graphics card.

Other than that it might be that you have a faulty video card.

Midsman2005 13:28 24 Aug 05

Sorry I see you dont have a sound card. You have onboard sound.

I think the video card is faulty.

fishmad pete 19:09 25 Aug 05

Returned card to pc world and purchased an ATI card. No problems now with sound or video

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant