Furthermore....SD, SDIO and MMC

herc182 15:36 23 Jul 04

Sorry people, but what is the difference between SD, SDIO and MMC memory? my PDA supports all three but i am unsure which is best/cheapest (have tried looking for it online but cant get the right key words!!).

Cheers

stalion 16:14 23 Jul 04

have a look here click here
you can type in your computer number and they will tell you what is suitable for yours

herc182 16:30 23 Jul 04

Its my PDA and not my PC, hence this doesnt work....
I know what memory it takes, just not sure what the differences are between them, and the costs.

Thanks for you help

stalion 16:35 23 Jul 04

sorry missed the pda part of your post

Stuartli 16:49 23 Jul 04

Secure Digital is an encrypted version of MultiMedia memory and, in most cases, products such as digital cameras using SD memory are also compatible with MMC; however this is not written in stone and your manual will advise.

Here's a description of SDIO:

click here

An explanation of the advantages of SD over MMC:

click here

herc182 17:08 23 Jul 04

Thanks for that. So is SDIO a form of adding functionality to a device (such as bluetooth and WiFi)? whereas SD and MMC are storage only?

Thanks

pcwhizz 17:23 23 Jul 04

MMC is used in Smart Phones , Digital Cameras, PDA's and So On. It is used for storgae Only

SD is the same as MMC but its encrypted.

And as u sed SDIO adds Functionality.

For price I would go with MMC coz its wot i use.

On ebuyer.co.uk there is a well reviewed 256mb MMC card for £33 with free p&p at moment.

click here

hope this helps

pcwhizz

herc182 17:26 23 Jul 04

i read that MMC is slower than SD and that it has less security (?). I was thinking of getting the SD II. its a little xtra but will benefit from speed. dont know if its a massive increase in speed tho.

Thanks

pcwhizz 18:16 23 Jul 04

u wont spot the speed difference.

it really insignificant

Stuartli 10:24 24 Jul 04

Yes, but SD is far superior to MMC - that's why it was developed - and the price difference these days over MMC is now very small.

herc182 09:17 26 Jul 04

So is the difference between SD and SDII notable (in a PDA) and worth paying the extra money for?

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…