funny noise coming from my PC

cracker23 18:11 22 Mar 03

I've got a strange noise coming from my pc not sure where tho'.The noise happens every ten minutes without fail(I've timed it).It's not the noise you get when the HDD is working and the light doesnt flicker either.It can happen weather I'm working on it or when it is idle.I've ran s.m.a.r.t on the HDD and everything comes back ok.Has anyone got any ideas as to what It might be please?

mark e 18:19 22 Mar 03

Try opening the case, and find where it comes from.
I had a similar problem a while back it turned out to be the CPU cooling fan which was replaced now it runs fine.

wetterfugal™ 19:15 22 Mar 03

As mark said it could be your CPU or case fan but if it occurs every ten mins dead on time it is probably not. Open the case and use a paper or plastic tube as an "ear trumpet" to locate the source of the noise. If it is the CPU fan change it urgently they are quite cheap, processors are not. I am assuming that the noise is not coming from the speakers or from the little pc speaker, or even the small transducer on your modem card.

Make sure that you do not have a microphone permanantly connected to your 'puter, it could be acoustic feedback.

cracker23 20:27 22 Mar 03

Thanks for your replies.So far I've disconected everything-monitor,speakers etc and the noise is still there.Then I disconnected the power cables to all the drives,ran pc and noise had gone.Connected up the HDD and noise was there again so I presume it's the hard drive.It's not very old so I'll get on to the manufacturer and let them sort it out.Thank you again

marble 20:40 22 Mar 03

My PC grumbles and groans when switched on - by the time it gets to the desktop it is OK though - the noise has been traced as coming from the fan on the graphics card. (It was a surprise to me as I didn't realise I had one! Our other PC has the same graphics but the card doesn't have a fan.) The place I got the machine from tried to cure my noise by replacing CPU fan and also put in a new PSU - they obviously didn't check the graphics card though :-)

marble

cracker23 21:00 22 Mar 03

The noise I get is like a whinning,squeaky noise that only happens every ten minutes weather the pc is busy or not-weird.Still,it's still under guarantee.All me and hubby have been doing all night is listening for noises.Me with my PC and him with shower(it's playing up too):-))

hugh-265156 00:45 23 Mar 03

cd/dvd drives can "squeak" have you a disc in the drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…