Funny little squeak

Jean-196853 10:35 19 May 06

Can anyone tell me what the funny little squeak could be. It happens after PC switched on and running for a minute or so, when browsing.

I presume it is telling me that it has blocked something or downloaded something. It is a short burst, two-tone 'pip'. There is no message that appears.

I have Avast and Sygate (OS Windows XP SP2).

johnnyrocker 10:42 19 May 06

sounds to me like it might be a pop up blocker warning?

xania 10:44 19 May 06

First, confirm that it is software based. Switch on PC and boot into Safe mode. This iwll stop all but the basic software from loading. Now wait and see if the squeak occurs.

If it does, suspect Hardware bearing problem. Open up the box and see if you can identify if the squeak comes from a fan or HDD - you will need to replace the faulty part before more damage occurs.

If not, reboot normally and see what happens - see if you can identify at what stage the squeak first occurs.

Sethhaniel 11:04 19 May 06

Mouse ;)

Sethhaniel 11:04 19 May 06

Mouse ;)

Jean-196853 11:17 19 May 06

I think it a popup blocker too but would like to know how to view the message when it beeps. I am new to sygate (used Zone Alarm before).

(PC is brand new and beep comes from speakers, not tower.)

johnnyrocker 12:19 19 May 06

are you sure there is no icon that blinks in the bottom right hand corner momwntarily, alternatively run mose over the icons in systray to see what each is. (it will not be sygate)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:37 19 May 06

I do not get any noises from sygate firewall,

to get messages from sygate,
right click icon in system tray , select options, on the general tab untick hide notification messages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…