Full System backup

srwpchelp 19:36 27 Jul 10

Hi,

Before I upgrade my PC to Windows 7, I want to do a full System backup to be on the safe side.
What's the best way of doing this? Preserving the original folders is important. Is it just a question of copying and pasting everything in "Computer" to my external hard drive? (e.g. using Teracopy)

Thanks,
Steve.

Technotiger 19:47 27 Jul 10

IMHO the best way is to use Acronis or similar to make a complete backup of your hard drive, to your external drive.

mooly 07:04 28 Jul 10

As with TT. Use Acronis.
Acronis doesn't need an operating system to run, so although it's convenient to run it as a Windows prog when you can you an also just load the CD and use it from there to find your backup files (disk image file)and restore from them. All in a few clicks.
There's no copy and paste or anything like that, Acronis creates a single file that is an image of the HDD and restores it exactly as it was.

Andsome 07:39 28 Jul 10

Acronis is one of the best inventions since sliced bread.

compumac 08:42 28 Jul 10

Acronis very easy to use.

AlanHo 09:07 28 Jul 10

If you are changing to a different operating system the only files you can easily copy back are your data files.

You will have to reinstall all your software.

It is worth taking a full system back up of your whole drive(s) in case you ever want to revert to your present operating system. If not - then copy to your external drive just your data files and settings so that you can restore them on the new OS.

srwpchelp 22:28 28 Jul 10

Thanks for the replies.

The only reason why I want to do a full system backup is just in case (a) I forget to back-up a file/folder that I want to add back to my PC or (2) I don't save a file/folder because I wasn't aware of it's existence (e.g. a settings file).

Will Acronis let me restore individual files/folders from the image file and show me their original locations?

Thanks,
Steve.

srwpchelp 22:28 28 Jul 10

Thanks for the replies.

The only reason why I want to do a full system backup is just in case (a) I forget to back-up a file/folder that I want to add back to my PC or (2) I don't save a file/folder because I wasn't aware of it's existence (e.g. a settings file).

Will Acronis let me restore individual files/folders from the image file and show me their original locations?

Thanks,
Steve.

Technotiger 22:37 28 Jul 10
  mooly 07:22 29 Jul 10

Yes... you can even look at all the files and folders in the backup image as though it were a real drive. You just click your way through the initial single backup file and it keeps opening in new windows as you go further in. Just like exploring your primary C drive... it's all there in just the same format.

That's a good link from TT

Acronis is one of those programs you just have to use to get a feel for it... it really is brilliant.

srwpchelp 22:13 03 Aug 10

Thanks for the replies & advice.

I've decided to backup individual files & folders rather than do a full backup.

I've just purchased an external HDD. Unfortunately, the software won't let you backup folders (only pre-defined file types). Neither will it let you backup hidden files.

I've read quite a few bad reviews on Acronis True Image. Are there any other programs that are worth looking at?

I want the backups to be as simple as possible.
i.e. always backup these pre-defined folders and pre-defined files. The backup folder structure should be the same as my PC. No need for compression.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5